The City of Hamilton, through its Neighbourhood Action Strategy, is offering a Neighbourhood Engagement Matching Grant Program (NEMGP). This program provides one-time matching funds to support neighbourhood and place-based grassroots initiatives across all neighbourhoods in the City.
- The total budget available in 2016/2017 is $16,000.
- Projects can apply for funds up to $1,000 maximum.
- This is a pilot project for the City ending December 31, 2017.
This Grant Program requires a 100% matching community contribution. The matching component can include any combination of volunteer labour, donated materials, donated professional services and/or cash.
The Neighbourhood Engagement Matching Grant Program will:
- Actively involve the community and build neighbourhood connections
- Support neighbourhood groups and/ or place-based grassroots initiatives in the city of Hamilton to change neighbourhood spaces, build community, and build capacity
- Leverage the City’s financial support with 100% matching community contribution of City funds from volunteer labour, donated materials, donated professional services and/or cash
What can be funded
The NEMGP will fund one-time projects under three broad areas:
Grants less than $500
- Informal groups (led by a resident and working with at least three members)
- Formal groups
Grants between $501 and $1000
- Informal groups (must have a financial sponsor to apply for this amount)
- Formal groups
- Not-for-profit corporations
Not-for-profit corporations may act as a financial sponsor for an informal group.
- Any informal/ formal group or not-for-profit corporation receiving or who have received Small Grant Funding from the Community Planning/ Team/ Social Planning and Research Council for the same project
- For-profit corporations
Groups can only apply for one project/activity at a time. Annual events undertaken by groups such as Easter egg hunts, movie nights, Halloween haunts, winter/summer fests etc. may only be funded one time through the NEMGP. Groups may apply for another project/activity once they have submitted their final report to the City.
- Project/ event supplies
- City of Hamilton fees (permits, park fees etc. if not covered through another program)
- Rentals – entertainment, tables, chairs etc.
- All other applicant expenses not related to the project/activity for which NEMGP funding is being requested including fundraising
- Minor and Major Capital expenses
- Direct financial assistance to individuals or families
- Duplicate existing public or private programs/events
- Alcohol, tobacco, or gambling expenses
- Inflatable structures such as bouncy houses, castles, slide, etc.
Applications will only be considered for activities/events that have not taken place during the 4 weeks review period. For example, if you submit your application by a July 22,2016 due date, your event or activity can’t take place from July 22, 2016 through to August 26th, 2016 (the next eligible submission date and the review period for July submissions). No retro-active funding requests will be considered.
How to apply
- Review and complete the application readiness checklist (PDF, 59 KB)
- Complete the Neighbourhood Engagement Matching Grant Program application form (DOC, 61 KB) and submit by 4 pm on the submission due date in one of three ways:
ATTN: Neighbourhood Engagement Matching Grant Program
City of Hamilton
Community & Emergency Service Department
Neighbourhood & Community Initiatives
P.O. Box 2040
Hamilton, Ontario L8P 4Y5
Bobbi Jo Beitz
28 James Street North, 5th floor (Lister Block), Hamilton
Send your submissions by email to: BobbiJo.Beitz@hamilton.ca
Decisions will be made on submitted applications within four weeks. To ensure appropriate planning time, you should apply at least one month before the project/event start date.
Applications must be received by 4 pm on the submission due date to be considered for the grant.
- Friday, August 26, 2016
- Friday, September 30, 2016
- Friday October 28, 2016
- Friday, November 25, 2016
- Monday, December 12, 2016
- Friday, January 27, 2017
- Friday, February 24, 2017
- Friday, March 24, 2017
- Friday, April 28, 2017
- Friday, May 26, 2017
- Friday, June 23, 2017
- Friday, July 28, 2017
- Friday, August 25, 2017
- Friday, September 29, 2017
- Friday, October 27, 2017
- Friday, November 24, 2017
- Monday, December 11, 2017
- Each application will be reviewed by a cross-departmental staff team that will have representation from one or more of the following areas:
- Special Event Advisory Team (SEAT)
- Neighbourhood Action Strategy
- other City of Hamilton Divisions
- Successful applicants are required to maintain all relevant receipts and provide the City of Hamilton a final report on their project/ activity within one month after the end date indicated on the application.
- Date modified: