About the committee
- To serve as a community forum for the exchange of information and provide advice to the City of Hamilton on all agricultural and rural affairs matters.
- To represent the interests of Hamilton’s agricultural industry, farm families and non-farm rural residents before City Council.
- To review and provide input to Council and City Departments on studies, plans, by-laws and proposed projects that have an impact on agricultural or natural resource businesses and the rural citizens who derive their livelihood from such businesses.
- To serve as the Tree Committee, as set forth in the Hamilton-Wentworth Woodland Conservation By-law, to make recommendations to Council on Minor Exception tree cutting applications.
- To serve as an advisory committee on nutrient management issues.
- At the request of Council, to provide a forum for the review and resolution of rural land use and farm management disputes.
- At the request of Council, to provide input and assistance to rural land stewardship programs or projects which are proposed by the City, other agencies and community groups.
- Councillor Brad Clark
- Councillor Brenda Johnson
- Councillor Arlene VanderBeek
- Councillor Lloyd Ferguson
- Catherine McMaster
- Mel Switzer
- Philip Krakar
- John Martel
- Nancy Mills
- Don Pede
- Chad Roberts
- Andrew Spoelstra
- Dale Smith
Alicia Davenport, Legislative Coordinator
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext. 2729
Terms of Reference
Committee type: Sub-Committee
Reports to: The Agricultural Advisory Committee will report to Council through the General Manager of Planning and Development on matters specifically referred to it by Council or in its role at the Tree Committee.
Meeting schedule: Monthly, 3rd Thursday
The Agricultural Advisory Committee shall be composed of:
- Three (3) members appointed by the Hamilton-Wentworth Federation of Agriculture;
- One (1) member appointed by the Brant Wentworth Christian Farmers Association;
- One (1) member appointed by the Hamilton-Wentworth Women’s Institute;
- One (1) member appointed by the Agricultural Societies (Rockton, Binbrook and Ancaster);
- Two (2) Members appointed by the Wentworth Soil and Crop Improvement Association;
- Four (4) “At Large” members appointed by Council
- Two (2) councillors (non-voting) appointed by Council from Wards 11, 12, 14 or 15
The terms shall be for four years or until a successor has been appointed by Council. No member of the Agricultural Advisory Committee shall be re-appointed for a continuous term that exceeds Nine (9) years.
At the first meeting following the appointment of members or the first meeting following a municipal election. the persons appointed shall select from amongst the membership of the Agricultural Advisory Committee, one person to serve as Chair, one person to serve as Vice Chair and one person to serve as Secretary.
The Chair of the Agricultural Advisory Committee shall be a member of the “Planning Affairs” Advisory Committee panel. Alternatively, the Chair may appoint the Vice Chair, any other member of the Agricultural Advisory Committee, to serve in his/her place as a member of such “Planning Affairs” Advisory Committee panel.
- The Agricultural Advisory Committee shall be provided with appropriate meeting space in facilities owned and managed by the City of Hamilton for regularly scheduled meetings.
- The Agricultural Advisory Committee shall be granted an annual budget sufficient to cover agenda and minute preparation, normal duplicating costs and mailing costs to be disbursed to the Secretary of the Committee in support of its regularly scheduled meetings.
- The Agricultural Advisory Committee may request the General Manager of a City Department to have members of City staff attend their regularly scheduled meetings to answer questions or make presentations that the Committee and the General Manager consider to be relevant to the Committee’s mandate.
- Date modified: