About the committee
The Committee is empowered by and responsible to City Council for its activities; it reports to City Council, on issues and concerns pertaining to racism and provides advice to address the impacts of racism, through the Audit, Finance & Administration Committee.
Project Manager, Community Inclusion & Equity
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext. 2567
Email: [email protected]
- Tyrone Childs
- Marlene Dei-Amoah
- Sylvia Gill
- Leslyn Gombakomba
- Shamini Jacob
- Phillip Jeffrey
- Annie Law
- Louic Leblanc
- Taimur Qasim
Terms of Reference
Committee type: Advisory Committee
Reports to: Audit, Finance & Administration Committee
Meeting schedule: 4th Tuesday of each Month, 6:30 to 8:30 pm
Composition: Up to 14 members. Preference will be given to applicants who have lived experience of racism, allies and advocates.
- Make recommendations and give advice to the City of Hamilton’s staff and Council on issues relating to racism, equity, diversity and inclusion as well as issues relating to anti-racism.
- Encourage every person, regardless of their race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion, creed or any other grounds based on the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC), to participate in programs and services for the improvement of community relations and the fulfilment of Human Rights.
- Work actively with institutions and all other relevant organizations, including educational institutions, Police Services, Emergency Services, public, private, voluntary sector and all levels of government to advise, consult, advocate and to promote proactive measures pertaining to racism and its impacts.
- Consult with individuals and/or groups with respect to complaints regarding racism and to make referrals within the community for complainants.
- Initiate and facilitate discussions between individuals and/or groups to address issues and concerns of racism and/or while promoting respect and understanding in the community.
- Date modified: