About the committee
Reporting to Council, through the Emergency and Community Services Committee, the Hamilton Veterans Committee oversees the planning and delivery of military remembrance and commemoration activities on behalf of the City of Hamilton. When directed by Council, the Committee will provide input on projects and issues that are of concern to Hamilton Veterans.
- Councillor Brenda Johnson
- Councillor Lloyd Ferguson
- David Steckham
- Ed Sculthorpe
- Robert Fyfe
- Don Jackson
- Michael Rehill
- Steven Waldron
- Terry Ryan
- Rod Paddon
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext. 4122
Email: [email protected]
Terms of Reference
Committee type: Advisory Committee
Reports to: Healthy and Safe Communities Committee
Meeting schedule: 4th Tuesday of April, May, July, Sep, Oct and Nov from 4 to 6 pm.
Goals and Objectives
- Act as liaison with the City of Hamilton on all matters directly relating to or of concern to veterans of the City of Hamilton.
- Coordinate the commemoration events for significant anniversaries such as Decoration Day, Remembrance Day, D-Day, VE Day, including parades and Memorial Ceremonies.
- Liaise with appropriate City staff regarding the burial of Veterans in the Field of Honour at Woodland Cemetery.
- Provide advice and consult with appropriate City staff respecting the use and care of Veterans Place at Gore Park including, but not limited to, the respectful use of Veterans Place and the Cenotaph and the placement of wreaths.
- Maximize the engagement of youth in the act of Remembrance through projects and events.
Membership will be comprised to include up to nine members of which a minimum of one to a maximum of three may be members at large; and, membership will be for a four year period to coincide with the term of Council or until such time as successors are appointed by Council.
Members are required to be a City of Hamilton resident AND one of the following:
- A veteran; OR
- A current or former member of the Canadian Forces; OR
- A current or former member of the Canadian Forces Reserves.; OR
- Meet the requirement of a member at large.
- A member (at large) is required to demonstrate a special interest in veterans’ projects and issues through their work in the community.
Quorum will be 50 percent plus one of the current membership.
- Date modified: