About the committee
To provide leadership and direction during the 2014 to 2018 term of Council for the transformation of the City’s Budget and Business Planning process.
The goal is to develop an updated process for communicating the cost and performance of City services, based on the Community Vision, Strategic Plan and Council priorities.
Committee type: Sub-Committee
Reports to: General Issues Committee
Meeting schedule: Held quarterly, or as required at the call of the Chair
Terms of Reference
The benefits of an updated Multi-year Budget and Business Planning process will be:
- An integrated communication, planning and prioritization tool that serves as an annual performance report, annual and multi-year budget (capital and operating), trends, challenges, risk analysis and action plans
- A single source of information for Council for informed decision-making about City projects, programs and services
- An easy to understand and transparent communication tool for the community about City services
- Tools and improved processes to effectively respond to Council and community questions
- Improved assessment of resources (people, process and technology) required to deliver Council priorities
a) To work with staff, Council and the Community to ensure that the City of Hamilton’s Budget and Business Planning process is developed and implemented in a manner that is reflective of a citizen-centred government and that supports long term financial sustainability.
b) Ensure that current processes used for decision making are integrated into the new Budget and Business Planning process, including but not limited to: service profiles, business planning, rate budget, tax operating budget, tax capital budget, user fees and audited financial statements.
c) Provide advice to staff to ensure that Council and community needs and expectations are considered during the development, transition and implementation of an updated Budget and Business Planning process.
d) Ensure that the Budget and Business Planning process that is developed reflects the City’s Corporate Culture Pillars (Sensational Services, Steadfast Integrity, Collective Ownership, Courageous Change and Engaged Empowered Employees) and Values (Respect, Excellence, Accountability, Leadership, Equity, Teamwork, Honesty, Innovation, Cost Consciousness).
The Sub-Committee membership will consist of six (6) members of Council, who are appointed for the term of Council. The Chair will be nominated and appointed by the Sub-Committee at its first meeting.
Voting & attendance
For purposes of voting, majority means more than half of the members present and voting.
A quorum for the purposes of voting shall be 50% plus 1 of the members on the Committee.
Sub-Committee Staff Support
The following staff will be required resources to this Sub-Committee:
- City Manager
- General Manager of Finance & Corporate Services
- Director, Corporate Initiatives or designate
- Director, Financial Policy & Planning or designate
- Support staff as required, that are involved in development and implementation of the Budget and Business Planning process
- City Clerk’s Legislative support
The Sub-Committee will be for the 2014-2018 Term of Council, which is the expected timeframe for the development and implementation of an updated Budget and Business Planning process.
Stephanie Paparella, Legislative Coordinator
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext. 3993
Email: [email protected]
- Councillor Terry Whitehead
- Councillor Judi Partridge
- Councillor John-Paul Danko
- Councillor Maureen Wilson
- Councillor Maria Pearson
- Date modified: