The Sidewalk and Roadway Lighting Policy (PDF, 24.5 MB) provides a reference standard for the planning, design and upgrading of street lighting infrastructure.
The policy is for:
- lighting designers
- city staff
The goal of this policy is to benefit:
- Pedestrian safety (Travelling on sidewalks or parallel to roadways)
- Pedestrian-vehicular safety (Pedestrian road crossings)
- Real safety and security
- Perceived safety and security
- Commercial and City of Hamilton image enhancement
- Vehicular road safety (Vehicle to vehicle conflicts)
The purpose of this document is to:
- Provide a uniform structure for the ongoing provision of lighting across the city
- Ensure consistent lighting levels.
- Define where lighting is and is not required and to what degree (lighting standards and illumination levels).
- Mandate lighting for sidewalks, urban walkways, urban roadways and rural and urban intersections.
- Promote a healthy environment by appropriate planning and management of the built environment.
- Date modified: