See ideas and resources below that support growth and development. This topic includes strategies and activities related to body image, diversity, healthy relationships, human development and sexual health, living skills (e.g., self-awareness, communication and social skills, thinking skills), self-efficacy and self-esteem.
Resources for growth and development
Curriculum, teaching & learning
- Check Ophea and the Ministry of Education for support in implementing the Health and Physical Education curriculum for grades 1 - 12.
- Check EduGAINS to learn more about key changes to the Elementary and Secondary curriculum.
- Ask your elementary school's Public Health Nurse (PHN) how they may support you with the new curriculum for grades 7 and 8.
- Visit Institute for Catholic Education for Ontario Catholic Curriculum, resources, and parent guides
- Sex&U provides sexual health information for youth, parents, health professionals and teachers
Schools receiving targeted services may contact their assigned PHN to book an interactive discussion for students in grades 9-12. Alongside the teacher, the PHN will guide the class with school board-approved visual aids and learning activities. Sessions you can book include:
- STI Prevention
- Pregnancy Prevention (HWDSB only)
- Healthy Relationships
Classroom & school leadership
- Provide opportunities to discuss healthy relationships and self-esteem. Celebrate the similarities and differences that exist within the classroom.
- Encourage students to become involved in activities that reflect the diversity of the school community such as positive space clubs, diversity clubs or health action teams. Speak to your school administrator and/or PHN for more information.
Social & physical environments
- Identify resources and supports and collaborate with students to build an environment that encourages positive self-esteem, body image, self-confidence and healthy sexuality.
- Create displays or multimedia content that depicts the school's diversity and addresses healthy growth and development topics.
Home, school & community partnerships
Check these resources:
- City of Hamilton Sexual Health Clinics provide access to birth control, testing for sexually transmitted infections and sexual health information.
- Visit Draw the Line for resources on violence prevention and consent in several languages.
- Ontario Ministry of Education Parent Guides for 2015 Health & Physical Education in several languages.
- It Starts with You, It Stays with Him has violence prevention resources for fathers, family members, coaches and leaders.
- SIECCAN Sex Information & Education Council of Canada promotes sexual and reproductive health
- The Aids Network provides information on HIV/AIDS prevention, education and support.
- Fight the New Drug provides information on the harms of pornography and suggestions on where to get help.
- Date modified: