See ideas and resources below that support growth and development. This topic includes strategies and activities related to body image, diversity, healthy relationships, human development and sexual health, living skills (e.g., self-awareness, communication and social skills, thinking skills), self-efficacy and self-esteem.
Resources for growth and development
Curriculum, teaching & learning
- Check Ophea and the Ministry of Education Ontario Elementary Curriculum and the Ontario Secondary Curriculum for support in implementing the Interim Edition (re-issued 2018) curriculum.
- Visit Institute for Catholic Education for Ontario Catholic Curriculum, resources, and parent guides
- Sex&U provides sexual health information for youth, parents, health professionals and teachers
See UNESCO’s The International Technical Guidance on Sexuality Education guidance document for best practices on comprehensive sexuality education including effective program delivery, key concepts, topics and learning objectives according to student ages.
Schools receiving targeted services may contact their assigned PHN to book an interactive discussion for students in grades 9-12. Alongside the teacher, the PHN will guide the class with school board-approved visual aids and learning activities. Sessions you can book include:
- STI Prevention
- Pregnancy Prevention (HWDSB only)
- Healthy Relationships
Classroom & school leadership
- Provide opportunities to discuss healthy relationships and self-esteem. Celebrate the similarities and differences that exist within the classroom.
- Encourage students to become involved in activities that reflect the diversity of the school community such as positive space clubs, diversity clubs or health action teams. Speak to your school administrator and/or PHN for more information.
Social & physical environments
- Identify resources and supports and collaborate with students to build an environment that encourages positive self-esteem, body image, self-confidence and healthy sexuality.
- Create displays or multimedia content that depicts the school's diversity and addresses healthy growth and development topics.
Home, school & community partnerships
Check these resources:
- Visit our Sexual Health Clinics for information on sexual health; including access to contraception, pregnancy testing, STI treatment and testing, clinic times and locations, or to take a virtual tour.
- Visit Draw the Line for resources on violence prevention and consent in several languages.
- Visit the Ministry of Education website for Elementary and Secondary Health & Physical Education parent resources.
- It Starts with You, It Stays with Him has violence prevention resources for fathers, family members, coaches and leaders.
- SIECCAN Sex Information & Education Council of Canada promotes sexual and reproductive health
- The Aids Network provides information on HIV/AIDS prevention, education and support.
- Fight the New Drug provides information on the harms of pornography and suggestions on where to get help.
- Date modified: