Personal safety and injury prevention are essential to active and healthy living. Education in these areas plays a key role in applying health knowledge and making decisions about personal health. Positive behaviours in personal safety affect overall health and well-being.
Resources for Personal Safety and Injury Prevention
See ideas and resources below that support recreational and road safety:
Curriculum, teaching & learning
- Access Ophea's new online resource Ontario Physical Activity Safety Standards in Education
- Check Parachute Canada’s Concussion Guide for Teachers for information on concussion symptoms and how they may impact a student at school
- Check the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care Concussion Portal for information on Rowan’s Law and concussions
Check the Ontario Road Safety Resource for students in Kindergarten to grade 12 for concussion lesson plans, teaching aids, games, activities, and posters.
School & classroom leadership
- Give opportunities to community members, parents, teachers and students to voice issues and engage in dialogue and problem solving related to helmet use and injury prevention
- Encourage students to regularly wear helmets.
- Check the Ministry of Education, Healthy Schools website for information and resources related to the provincial concussion safety legislation and current School Board Policies on concussions (PPM 158)
- Get involved by participating in Rowan’s Law Day and download a Toolkit for schools
- Practice with students how to properly wear a helmet and other school safety tips
- Free lesson plans and classroom activities for grades 3-5, grades 6-8, grades 9-12
- Ask students to identify what their school is currently doing to support concussion awareness and ways their school could get more involved in concussion prevention
- Provide opportunities for students to share their perspectives and solutions on injury prevention issues through media and arts projects
Social & physical environments
- Encourage your school, students, parents to develop an Active & Sustainable School Plan
- The City of Hamilton, Smart Commute Hamilton, Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board, and Hamilton-Wentworth Catholic School Board are committed to developing and maintaining Active & Sustainable School Plans for all Hamilton schools
- Use Active & Safe Routes to School to support a healthy physical environment. It provides options for schools to create an active culture and travel system.
Home, school & community partnership
- Encourage parents, community members, teachers, students to participate in bike to school week and wear yellow day
- Promote using a properly fitted helmet when cycling or riding anything with wheels
- Promote and role model bicycle and road safety
- Learn ways to get involved in your community’s plan to improve road safety for everyone through Vision Zero
Certains renseignements et certaines ressources du Service de santé publique présentés sur cette page Web pourraient être disponibles en français. Communiquez avec l’infirmière affectée à votre école ou envoyez au courriel à email@example.com pour en savoir plus long sur les ressources et les services offerts en français.
- Date modified: