Personal safety and injury prevention are essential to active and healthy living. Education in these areas plays a key role in applying health knowledge and making decisions about personal health. Positive behaviours in personal safety affect overall health and well-being.
Resources for Personal Safety and Injury Prevention
See ideas and resources below that support recreational and road safety:
Curriculum teaching & learning
- Check OPHEA's Safety Guidelines for concussion protocol and tools
- Check the Ontario Road Safety Resource for students in Kindergarten to grade 12
- Check Parachute for information on preventing injuries, programs such as Safe Kids Week or e-learning on concussions
- Check the Supportive Programs for Schools under the Hamilton Helmet Initiative for information on free injury prevention and skill-building programming
School & classroom leadership
- Give opportunities to community members, parents, teachers and students to voice issues and engage in dialogue and problem solving related to helmet use and injury prevention
- Make sure students are regularly wearing helmets according to school board policy
- Provide opportunities for students to share their perspectives and solutions on injury prevention issues through media and arts projects
- Suggest secondary school students volunteer with the Hamilton Helmet Initiative to prevent injuries. Email email@example.com for more information
Social & physical environments
- Use Active & Safe Routes to School to support a healthy physical environment. It provides options for schools to create an active culture and travel system.
Home, school & community partnership
- Promote Hamilton Helmet Initiative to students for affordable access to helmets
Certains renseignements et certaines ressources du Service de santé publique présentés sur cette page Web pourraient être disponibles en français. Communiquez avec l’infirmière affectée à votre école ou envoyez au courriel à firstname.lastname@example.org pour en savoir plus long sur les ressources et les services offerts en français.
- Date modified: