Emergency Preparedness Tips for Power Outages

Fire Department Banner - The Hamilton Fire Department wants to hear from you

The Hamilton Fire Department would like to know how residents feel about the services we are providing. Your responses will help identify what is important to you, where we are performing well and areas where we can improve.

Take the survey

Le Service des incendies souhaite que les résidents donnent leur avis sur les services offerts.  Vos réponses nous aideront à identifier ce qui est important pour vous, ce que nous faisons bien et ce que nous devons améliorer.

Participer à l'enquête

Most power outages will be over almost as soon as they begin, but some can last much longer – up to days or even weeks.
Power outages can be life threatening especially during cold weather. 


Preparing for a power outage:

  • Make emergency light sources (flashlights, batteries, glow sticks) accessible and known to family members
  • Install surge protectors to safeguard sensitive electronic equipment (computers, televisions and stereo sound systems)
  • Camping equipment is useful (portable stoves and lamps). Any liquid fuels and propane should be stored in garage or shed separated from the house
  • Store emergency supplies in your home including first aid kit, energy bars, canned food (and a manual opener), bottled water, flashlight with extra batteries and a battery operated radio. Make sure you know how to shut off gas, water and electric supplies at the source within your house. 

During a power outage:

  • Turn off all major non-essential appliances
  • Unplug sensitive electronic equipment
  • If leaving your house during an outage, unplug all heat-producing appliances
  • Turn off all lights except for one light for notification when power does resume
  • Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed to preserve food. The refrigerator will keep food cool for four to six hours depending on the kitchen temperature
  • Never leave burning candles unattended
  • Don’t use the following inside your home: barbeque or camp grills, gasoline engines, generators, lanterns and gas ranges. Using these indoors can lead to a poisonous build-up of air in the house
  • Check on neighbours