Was your home hit hard by the recent heavy rainfall on April 20, 2017, causing flooding to your basement?
Prevention is the key to fire safety. Follow these home safety tips to protect yourself and your family.
Kitchen fire safety
- Never leave cooking unattended. If you must leave the kitchen, turn off the appliance.
- Always keep a large lid near the stove when you are cooking and if the pot catches fire, slide the lid over the pot and turn off the stove.
- Unplug kettles, frying pans and other appliances when not in use.
- Always wear short or tight fitting sleeves while cooking.
- Never attempt to carry a burning pot or pan.
- Never use water on a grease fire. Buy a ULC listed multi-purpose type (ABC rated) portable fire extinguisher and learn how to use the extinguisher, so that if needed, you are prepared.
- Circuit breakers and fuses should be the correct size for their circuit. If you do not know the correct size, have an electrician identify and label the size to be used. Always replace a fuse with the same size fuse.
- Make sure cords are in good condition and not frayed or cracked. Make sure they are placed out of traffic areas. Cords should never be nailed or stapled to the wall, baseboard or to another object. Do not place cords under carpets or rugs or rest any furniture on them.
- Extension cords should only be used on a temporary basis; they are not intended as permanent household wiring. The use of extension cords as permanent wiring is a violation under the Ontario Fire Code.
- Make sure all light bulbs are the correct wattage for the size of the light fixture.
- Never smoke when you are in bed.
- Use deep, non-combustible ashtrays and empty into non-combustible containers such as a coffee tin and allow to cool for at least 24 hours prior to throwing out.
- Always check seat cushions and floors for cigarette butts prior to leaving the house or going to bed.
- Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children.
- Never leave a candle unattended for any reason. If you are leaving the room, extinguish the candle.
- Always place the candle on a solid, level surface, away from windows and all materials that could catch on fire including drapes and curtains.
- Candles can be easily knocked over so keep children and pets away from lit candles.
- Never carry a lit candle.
Always use the proper type of holder for the candle.
- Date modified: