Claremont update: Second down-bound lane opening Wednesday, full down-bound closure Tuesday evening
You often end up with yard waste when you clean up your garden, lawn or yard. Yard waste includes many natural things that decompose or break down to become a nutrient rich soil called "humus" or compost. The City of Hamilton picks up yard waste so that it can be composted instead of going in a landfill.
You can put out an unlimited amount of yard waste on your pick up day every week, in addition to your green bin.
Large loads of yard waste can be taken to a Community Recycling Centre. There is no cost to drop off yard waste at a Community Recycling Centre for residents of Hamilton if it comes from your home. There is a cost if the yard waste comes from a business.
Did you get an Oops! Sticker
If you see a bright orange “oops! Sticker” on your yard waste bag or can after the collection truck has come by, it means there are items in your yard waste that don’t belong.
You will get an Oops! sticker if you put these things with your yard waste:
- Artificial trees and plants
- Tree stumps
- Wood (lumber)
Yard waste tips
- Put yard waste in open top reusable rigid containers. For example, bins, baskets or a garbage can without a lid. There should be holes in the bottom of this container so water can drain out.
- Cardboard boxes and recycling boxes are not acceptable containers for leaf and yard waste.
- Paper yard waste bags, can be purchased from local stores.
- Roll down the tops of your yard waste bags to keep contents dry.
- Use paper bags instead of plastic bags.
- Bundles (for brush & twigs) must be tied with string.
- Brush should be tied in bundles no longer than 1.2m (4ft) and .75m (2.5ft) in diameter. Individual branches can’t be larger than 7cm (2.5in) in diameter.
- Do not put out branches that are more than 7 cm (or 2 ½ in) in diameter. These can be dropped off at Community Recycling Centres.
- Keep each bag or bundle or can of yard waste less than 23 kg (or 50 lbs).
- Put your yard waste bags or cans a few feet away from your blue boxes and garbage bags or cans on the curb.
- Do not let branches stick out of your yard waste bags.
- Do not rake yard waste and leaves onto the roadway. These create dangerous driving conditions and clog up storm sewer catch basins.
- Remove decorations and candles from pumpkins before placing with your yard waste. Cut large pumpkins into smaller pieces before placing in your yard waste bag/container.
- Do not put your Christmas tree in a plastic bag. Remove lights, tinsel and ornaments from your Christmas tree.
Carlisle Yard Waste Depot
Drop off your leaf and yard waste at the Carlisle Yard Waste Depot between 9 am and 3 pm on:
- Saturday, April 8, 2016
- Saturday, April 15, 2016
- Saturday, April 22, 2016
- Saturday, May 6, 2016
- Saturday, October 21, 2016
- Saturday, November 4, 2016
- Saturday, November 11, 2016
- Saturday, November 18, 2016
You can also bring yard waste to any of our Community Recycling Centres free of charge.
- Date modified: