July 12 2019
HAMILTON, ON – After a brief lull to accommodate the delivery and quality checks of a higher grade asphalt, construction on Cannon St will resume this Sunday, July 14 at approximately 7 p.m.
Paving along the north side of Cannon St is scheduled to take place during the evening hours between Sunday, July 14 and Thursday, July 18, weather permitting. In order to avoid interruptions to major arterial cross streets during the daytime, crews will be on site between the hours of 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. to complete the paving operations. Daytime operations will also resume beginning Monday, July 15.
- The City of Hamilton began a large reconstruction project on Cannon St between James St N and Sherman Ave N in May 2019
- Cannon St reconstruction involves road resurfacing and Cycle Track improvements, including concrete barrier curbs at selected locations and enhanced pavement markings.
- Upon beginning work in the two lanes on the north side of Cannon St, crews milled away 80mm of asphalt and discovered the road base did not require the same level of repairs that were originally anticipated
- As a result, the City is using the budget originally set aside for repairs to the road base for a higher quality asphalt. This will help extend the life of Cannon St.
- Paving in the south side lanes will occur later this summer.
- A new completion date will be announced after work required in the lanes once the south side is assessed.
- The Cannon St Cycle Track is currently closed and will remain closed throughout construction. A map showing potential alternate routes to help cyclists plan their travel during construction can be found at: www.hamilton.ca/CannonStImprovements.
- There is no parking along Cannon St for the duration of construction.
The City of Hamilton thanks residents for their patience and cooperation as we complete these important infrastructure upgrades.