November 15 2021
HAMILTON, ON – This month, the City of Hamilton is sharing safety tips with motorists about safe stopping. As part of the joint Vision Zero Action Plan, this education campaign is focused on transforming roadway safety with a simple goal: zero fatalities or serious injuries on roadways.
Responsible motorists notice stops ahead, safely check their surroundings, begin braking early and stop smoothly.
- Before slowing down or stopping, check your mirrors. Having awareness of your surroundings can help prevent a rear-end collision.
- In wet weather conditions, leave extra space between you and the vehicle in front of you. Icy and wet roads can make stopping more difficult and vehicles may require more time to come to a complete stop.
- Do not assume that other drivers see a stop sign ahead. Drive with caution and try to make eye contact with other road users at two or four-way stops.
- Ensure your brake lights are operational so that you can communicate your intention to stop. This signals to other drivers to reduce their speed too.
- Commercial vehicles and school buses stop at railway crossings. If you’re driving behind one of these vehicles, leave space and prepare to stop.
Additionally, in an effort to further the progress being made through Hamilton’s Strategic Road Safety Program and Vision Zero Action Plan, the City of Hamilton is currently working to create various Complete Streets Reports to help improve road safety throughout neighbourhoods across Hamilton. Current engagement projects can be found on engage.hamilton.ca.