February 28 2019
HAMILTON, ON – Yesterday evening, Hamilton City Council unanimously passed a motion brought forward by Mayor Eisenberger to develop an action plan for the implementation of an equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) lens.
The implementation of the EDI lens will include the following:
- Staff prepare a report on the steps required to implement an equity, diversity and inclusion lens framework to City policy and program development, practices, service delivery, budgeting, business planning and prioritization;
- Implementation of the equity, diversity and inclusion lens begin in the City’s Housing & Homelessness Strategy and service delivery;
- The attached draft Equity, Diversity & Inclusion Handbook, be reviewed, edited and revised as required following consultations with internal and external stakeholders and made available as a resource to City staff and the community;
- The City Manager plan and execute an Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Summit;
- Costs associated with the Hamilton Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Summit be funded from the Mayor’s Office, up to a maximum of $5,000;
- Staff participate in relevant, provincial and federal equity, diversity and inclusion related initiatives.
The City of Hamilton’s diversity is one of its greatest strengths. This formal framework will provide a lens through which future policy will be measured against principles of cultural inclusivity, gender equity and intersectionality in order to combat systemic discrimination.
“I’m delighted Council unanimously agreed to develop an equity, diversity and inclusion lens that will help facilitate the removal of systemic barriers in City program and services. The creation of an EDI lens is an important initiative that requires a holistic approach across the entire organization.” - Mayor Fred Eisenberger