September 8 2020
HAMILTON, ON – Beginning tomorrow, the Queen St S two-way conversion project between Main St W and Aberdeen Ave will officially be complete, allowing motorists to travel both northbound and southbound on Queen St S.
Queen St S was previously a one-way southbound street between Main St W and Herkimer St and a two-way street south of Herkimer St.
Construction on Queen St S began in June and has included:
- Replacements of sidewalk corners and curbs
- New traffic signal poles and lights
- New audible pedestrian push buttons
- Enhanced bike lane safety features including new cycle paths, concrete separation curbs, bike lane knockdown sticks and bicycle traffic signal lights
- Traffic signal changes to include southbound movement
The two-way conversion of Queen St S between Main St W and King St W will be completed in 2021, pending the finalization of localized development construction.
Crews will continue working in the area over the next few weeks to complete final touches, but the road will be open for travel. The construction of a new traffic signal at Queen St N and Napier St will begin on Monday, September 14, 2020 and be completed in October.
The City of Hamilton thanks motorists, cyclists and pedestrians for their patience and cooperation as we complete these important infrastructure upgrades.