October 7 2021
HAMILTON, ON - With the long weekend coming up and more residents preparing their yard for the cool days ahead, the City is reminding residents of the upcoming changes to the curbside leaf and yard waste collection schedule, fall clean up tips and the upcoming Compost Giveaway.
Changes to Curbside Leaf and Yard Waste Collection Schedule:
- The City is reminding residents that beginning Monday, December 6, 2021, the City will no longer collect yard waste curbside in December, January and February.
- Regular weekly collection of curbside yard waste will resume February 28, 2022.
- Residential yard waste can still be taken to a Community Recycling Centre for free all year round.
- Curbside Christmas tree collection will not be impacted and will still be collected during the first and second weeks of January each year.
Fall Clean Up Tips:
- When placing yard waste at the curb for collection, use a paper yard waste bag or an open top rigid reusable container identified with a yard waste sticker.
- Blue boxes, cardboard boxes and green bins are NOT acceptable yard waste containers.
- Yard waste stickers can be picked up for free at a Municipal Service Centre.
- If using a reusable container to dispose of yard waste, drill holes into the sides and bottom of your container to allow drainage and air circulation. Remove the lid before placing at the curb for collection.
- Keep each bag, bundle or container of yard waste under 50lbs to maintain the safety of waste collection operators.
- Roll bags shut at the top with no branches sticking out. Store bags in a dry location until your collection day.
- Branches, sticks and twigs must be tied with string in bundles no longer than 1.2m (4ft) and .75m (2.5ft) in diameter.
- Remove candles and decorations before placing pumpkins in your yard waste bag or container.
- Yard waste is not accepted in the green bin.
- Throughout the year, the City picks up residents’ yard waste as part of the curbside leaf and yard waste collection program. After it’s picked up, it’s processed and turned into nutrient-rich compost. As a thank you for participating in the yard waste program, the City gives some of the compost back to residents to use on vegetable gardens, flower beds and lawns.
- This Saturday, October 9, 2021, the City is hosting its annual Compost Giveaway at Turner Park, 344 Rymal Rd E, between 7 a.m. and 11 a.m. (while quantities last)
- Residents are asked to bring their own buckets or containers and shovel to the giveaway location this weekend.
- Further details can be found at: www.hamilton.ca/compost