May 17 2019
HAMILTON, ON – Beginning Tuesday, May 21, the City of Hamilton will completely close Locke St in both directions between Hunter St and Melbourne St. to accommodate the ongoing reconstruction project in the area. There will be no vehicular access on Locke St S between Hunter St and Melbourne St.
All sidewalks and businesses in the area will remain open.
To manage traffic delays caused by the full closure of Locke St, several surrounding one-way streets will be converted into two-way streets, including Hunter St, Bold St, Pine St and Tuckett Street.
Two parking lots are available for visitors to Locke St, one behind Starbucks, accessible from Poulette St and another at Blessings Church accessible from Chatham St. Green and white signs labelled P1 and P2 will be placed in the area to guide visitors.
Over the coming months, Locke St will receive the following upgrades:
- Road reconstruction, including new curbs, sidewalks, bump outs and a freshly paved road surface
- Improved accessibility including urban braille and wider sidewalks
- Underground improvements including new 500mm and 200mm watermains and sewer lining
- Bike lanes will be installed from Hunter Street West to King Street West.
- Street furniture, urban trees, increased parking, and a coloured concrete boulevard.
Given the significance of this project, the City has created a special webpage for interested residents and visitors to learn more about the upgrades and track progress of the construction and road closures by visiting: http://map.hamilton.ca/lockestimprovements
HSR customers route #7 Locke should check https://www.hamilton.ca/hsrdetours for details on detours.
The City thanks residents for their patience and cooperation as we complete these important infrastructure improvements.