November 7 2019
HAMILTON, ON – Later today, the City of Hamilton will re-open Locke St to two-way traffic as the major reconstruction along the street begins to wrap up.
Beginning early this evening, the City will re-open Locke St and Charlton Ave. Surrounding streets with temporary closures will be re-opened over the coming days. Crews will continue working in the area over the next few weeks to complete the final touches, but roads will be open for travel.
HSR route #7 will continue to run on the existing temporary route until work is completed on the bus stops along Locke St. Details at https://www.hamilton.ca/hsrdetours.
Construction on Locke St began in March and has included:
- Road reconstruction, including new curbs, sidewalks, bump outs and a freshly paved road surface
- Improved accessibility including urban braille and wider sidewalks
- Underground improvements including new 500mm and 200mm watermains and sewer lining
- Bike lanes will be installed from Hunter Street West to King Street West.
- Street furniture, urban trees, increased parking, and a coloured concrete boulevard
Events celebrating re-opening of Locke Street
Several events are planning to celebrate the re-opening of Locke St including:
Official Ribbon Cutting Media Event
Media are invited to attend a formal ribbon cutting ceremony and participate in a walking tour of the newly reconstructed street.
Date: Wednesday, November 13, 2019
Time: 11:30 am
Speakers: Mayor Eisenberger, Councillor Maureen Wilson, Heidi Vanderkwaak, Locke St BIA, City of Hamilton staff
- Ribbon Cutting
- Media walking tour
Christmas on Locke Tree Lighting Ceremony
The community is invited to attend a tree lighting ceremony to celebrate the start of the holiday shopping season on Locke St.
Date: Friday, November 15, 2019
Time: 6 to 9 pm. Ceremony at 7 pm
Location: Christmas tree is located near West Town
- Shops will be open until 9 pm.
- Live music, treats, carriage rides and special appearances by Santa and Mrs. Claus
Community Grand Street Re-Opening Celebration
The community is invited to attend the Grand Street Re-Opening Celebration.
Date: Saturday, November 30, 2019
- Street corner activations from 11 am to 4 pm
- Swag bag giveaways
- Walking tours of Locke St
The City thanks residents for their patience and cooperation as we complete these important infrastructure improvements.