December 16 2021
HAMILTON, ON – With the Omicron variant spreading rapidly in our community and a strong focus on enhancing accessibility to COVID-19 vaccinations, the City of Hamilton will be closing some facilities and cancelling some programs to allow for the redeployment of staff to the vaccine program.
These closures are necessary for the City to assist with the operations in our vaccination clinics and efforts as we begin to expand booster dose vaccination capacity as soon as possible. The City will temporarily and urgently redeploy approximately 100 employees to our vaccine programs between December 18, 2021 and January 10, 2022.
The City will be closing some facilities and suspending programming in the following areas between December 18, 2021 and January 10, 2022:
Recreation Centre & Arena Closures
- Hill Park Recreation Centre
- Winona Community Centre
- Sir Winston Churchill Recreation Centre
- Jimmy Thompson Memorial Pool
- Dundas Lions Memorial Community Centre
- Ancaster Rotary Centre
- Rosedale Arena
- Carlisle Arena
- Sir Wilfrid Laurier Recreation Centre (already closed)
- Ryerson Recreation Centre (already closed)
Seniors Centres & Club Closures
- Sackville Hill Seniors Recreation Centre
- Ancaster Seniors Achievement Centre
- Flamborough Seniors Centre
- Dundas Senior Citizen’s Club
- Seniors' Centre Without Walls programming is also cancelled
- All museums will be closed except for the Dundurn National Historic Site
Additionally, as a result of advice from our local Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Elizabeth Richardson, and Dr. Kieran Moore, Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, the City of Hamilton will be suspending all return to the workplace efforts at this time. A new return to the workplace date will be shared in 2022.
“It is vital that everyone, including those who have already received their first and second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, follow public health guidelines to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and variants in our community. We know the devastating impacts if we do not act swiftly and we are doing everything we can to protect residents and beat this virus. Every Hamiltonian plays a pivotal role and holds a great responsibility in helping keep our community healthy and safe.” - Mayor Fred Eisenberger