November 25 2021
HAMILTON, ON – Beginning December 6, 2021 and through the winter season, the City of Hamilton will no longer collect yard waste curbside. Between December 6, 2021 and February 25, 2022, residents who need to dispose of yard waste should bring it free of charge to a Community Recycling Centre as it will not be collected at the curb.
Curbside collection of yard waste will resume February 28, 2022 in time for spring clean-up.
Curbside Christmas tree collection will not be impacted. Natural Christmas trees will be collected during the first and second weeks of January on residents’ regular collection day.
- The City’s Community Recycling Centres accept yard waste all year.
- There is no cost to drop off yard waste at a Community Recycling Centre for residents of Hamilton if it comes from your home. There is a cost if the yard waste comes from a business.
- Community Recycling Centres are open Monday to Saturday between 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. They are closed on Sundays and Statutory Holidays.
With the last weekend of fall clean up ahead, the City is sharing the following fall clean up tips:
- When placing yard waste at the curb for collection, use a paper yard waste bag or an open top rigid reusable container identified with a yard waste sticker.
- Blue boxes, cardboard boxes and green bins are NOT acceptable yard waste containers.
- Yard waste stickers can be picked up for free at a Municipal Service Centre.
- If using a reusable container to dispose of yard waste, drill holes into the sides and bottom of your container to allow drainage and air circulation.
- Keep each bag, bundle or container of yard waste under 50lbs to maintain the safety of waste collection operators.
- Roll bags shut at the top with no branches sticking out. Store bags in a dry location until your collection day.
- Branches, sticks and twigs must be tied with string in bundles no longer than 1.2m (4ft) and .75m (2.5ft) in diameter.
- Yard waste is not accepted in the green bin.