September 18 2020
HAMILTON, ON – The City’s first positive case of COVID-19 associated with the Hamilton Wentworth Catholic District School Board was confirmed by local public health officials today.
Hamilton Public Health Services (HPHS) has confirmed a positive COVID-19 case of a student at Bishop Tonnos Catholic Secondary School. The Hamilton Wentworth Catholic District School Board is working with Public Health Officials to facilitate case and contact tracing. It is vital that personal health information and identifiers are not released, and the privacy of everyone involved is respected.
"We understand the concern this causes staff, students and the families of the Bishop Tonnos Catholic Secondary School community. We will be working closely with Hamilton Public Health Services and following all Ministry of Education and Public Health guidance."
- Patrick Daly, Chairperson
Hamilton-Wentworth Catholic District School Board
- HPHS is responsible for providing guidance to schools on COVID-19 case management, infection prevention and control, and outbreak control. They will also determine who needs to be self-isolated and the duration.
- HPHS will contact positive cases and work with the school board to identify any additional contacts who require follow-up and reach-out to them directly.
- HWCDSB is responsible for cleaning and disinfection of any areas where symptomatic individuals were located, in addition to preventive measures to control outbreaks within the schools.
- Status of Cases in Hamilton
- COVID-19 cases in schools and child care centres in Ontario
- COVID-19 guidance: school outbreak management in Ontario