September 25 2020
HAMILTON, ON -The City’s first positive case of COVID-19 associated with Mohawk College was confirmed by local public health officials today.
Hamilton Public Health Services (HPHS) has confirmed a positive COVID-19 case associated with Mohawk’s Stoney Creek Campus. They are working with the public health authority in their place of residence and following the prescribed protocols. Mohawk College is working with Public Health officials to facilitate case and contact tracing. It is vital that personal health information and identifiers are not released, and the privacy of everyone involved is respected.
- HPHS is responsible for providing guidance to institutions on COVID-19 case management, infection prevention and control, and outbreak control.
- HPHS will contact positive cases and work with the college to identify any additional contacts who require follow-up and reach-out to them directly.
- Mohawk College is responsible for cleaning and disinfection of any areas where symptomatic individuals were located, in addition to preventive measures to control outbreaks within the schools.
- Status of Cases in Hamilton
“Mohawk students and employees have been doing an excellent job in following safety protocols on campus and in off-campus learning and teaching situations but we will not be immune from COVID-19 infections as numbers begin to climb across the province. We must continue to keep our guard up, following the protocols of the college and of placement partners, and be mindful to protect ourselves and those around us from infection as best we can.”
– Mohawk College President Ron McKerlie.