September 22 2020
HAMILTON, ON - Hamilton healthcare providers understand the need for timely COVID-19 testing and are working collaboratively to meet a significant increase in demand. Visits to testing centres have doubled in recent weeks to approximately 1000 people per day. Yesterday, calls to Hamilton Public Health Services booking line jumped to 3000 calls, compared to approximately 1000 calls two weeks ago.
In order to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and accommodate faster testing for symptomatic individuals and close contacts of confirmed cases, we are asking people to please book an appointment. Please note, walk-ins will not be guaranteed an immediate test, and may need to schedule an appointment.
How to book an appointment
- Book an appointment by calling Hamilton Public Health Services directly at COVID hotline at 905-974-9848.
- Phone lines are open 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Booking lines are receiving more than 2,000 calls each day, so please be patient.
- Voice messages can be left during this time and will be returned. Voice messages will not be accepted outside of business hours.
- Online booking will become available by Friday, September 25, 2020.
To meet demand, an additional by-appointment only testing site has been opened on the Mountain at St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton’s West 5th campus. The hours of this site are being extended to weekends effective this Saturday, September 26, 2020 from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. We are working to increase the volume of tests we can accommodate. Due to the growing numbers of people seeking tests, the turnaround time for results is within seven days.
A sincere thank you to members of the public for your patience and understanding as we work through this, and a heartfelt thank you to our hard-working staff at the testing centres who are doing their best during this challenging time.
- As always, regardless of need for a potential COVID-19 test, if someone is very ill and in need of immediate care, they should go to the nearest Urgent Care Centre, Emergency Department, or call 911.