February 26 2021
HAMILTON, ON - In an effort to protect some of our most vulnerable in the community from COVID-19, starting tomorrow, the Hamilton Public Health Services’ mobile vaccine clinic will begin to offer COVID-19 vaccines to workers and residents in Hamilton’s shelter system.
The mobile clinic team is working collaboratively with the Shelter Health Network and shelter staff on the planning and implementation of pop-up mobile COVID-19 vaccination clinics for clients at all shelter sites from February 27 to March 2, 2021.
Arrangements for vaccinations will be made directly with the shelters. Registration for shelter workers opened on February 24th through the community healthcare worker portal at www.hamilton.ca/VaccineRegistration.
We need to work together to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in our community, to reserve healthcare and hospital capacity and to protect vulnerable settings like long-term care homes.
- Vaccination roll-out is based on the prioritization framework as determined by Provincial guidelines.
- It is expected that vaccines will become available for more people in the winter and spring of 2021. It is expected that by end of 2021 everyone who wants a vaccine will be offered a vaccine free of cost.
- Working groups from across Hamilton’s health sector continue to work to ensure that COVID-19 vaccines are distributed effectively and equitably once they arrive locally. Teams are focused on implementing the provincial framework to ensure prioritization of key populations is met and that the logistics around local storage and distribution of vaccine supply are ready to be operationalized.
- It is vital that members of the public, even those who have been vaccinated, ensure that public health measures still be practiced until it is safe and said to be safe by the health professionals in all levels of government. Public health measures include:
- stay home if you are feeling unwell
- get tested for COVID-19 if you have symptoms or have been in close contact with a confirmed positive case of COVID-19
- limit gatherings to only members of your immediate household
- maintain a physical distance of at least 6 feet or 2 meters from others outside of your immediate household
- wear a mask or face covering indoors and outdoors when not able to maintain physical distancing
- wash hands frequently
- View the Board of Health Presentation – February 19, 2020
- Read more about Ontario’s COVID vaccination program
- Public Health Services’ COVID-19 Hotline: 905-974-9848 or [email protected]