December 15 2017
All City of Hamilton administrative offices will be closed from Monday, December 25 through to Monday, January 1, 2018. Offices will re-open on Tuesday, January 2, 2018.
- For emergencies involving roads, water mains, sewer systems, public health and safety issues, please call 905-546-2489.
Green Cart, Recycling and Garbage Collection
- There will be no green cart, blue box, bulk waste, yard waste, or garbage pick-up on Monday, December 25 and Monday, January 1, 2018.
- Your pick-up will be one day later if it falls on or after the holiday.
- To view your collection schedule, visit www.hamilton.ca/waste. Waste must be at the curb by 7 am.
- Christmas tree collection: Real Christmas trees will be collected during the weeks of January 8 and 15. Please remove all decorations before placing your tree at the curb. Do not wrap your tree in plastic.
- Community Recycling Centres and Transfer Stations will be closed on Monday, December 25 and Monday, January 1, 2018
HSR Bus Schedules
- Sunday, December 24: buses will operate on a regular Sunday service
- Monday, December 25: buses will operate on a Special Christmas Day schedule with limited bus service until 9 pm
- Tuesday, December 26: buses will operate on a regular Saturday service
- Wednesday, December 27: buses will operate on a regular weekday service
- Thursday, December 28: buses will operate on a regular weekday service
- Friday, December 29: buses will operate on a regular weekday service
- Saturday, December 30: buses will operate on a regular Saturday service
- Sunday, December 31: buses will operate on a Sunday service extended on most routes. Bus service will be FREE after 6 pm
- Monday, January 1: buses will operate on a regular Sunday/Holiday service
- The HSR Customer Service Centre will be closed December 25, 26, and January 1.
- Call HSR information at 905-527-4441 or visit www.hamilton.ca/hsr for more details. The HSR Information Line will only be open from 9 am to 5 pm on December 25.
- DARTS Service:
- Sunday, December 24: Sunday/Holiday service (6:30 am to 12:30 am)
- Monday, December 25: special holiday service (approximately 6 am to 12:30 am)
- Tuesday, December 26: weekday service
- Wednesday, December 27: weekday service
- Thursday, December 28: weekday service
- Friday, December 29: weekday service
- Saturay, December 30: Saturday service
- Sunday, December 31: special holiday service (6 am to 2 am) with free service after 6 pm
- Monday. January 1: special holiday service (approximately 6 am to 12:30 am)
- Accessible Transportation Services (ATS) Office at 2200 Upper James Street will be open Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm throughout the holiday period except for December 25, 26 and January 1.
- All recreation centres, senior centres and arenas will be closed December 25, 26 and January 1. For recreation schedules between December 25 and January 1, visit www.hamilton.ca/recreation
Hamilton Civic Museums
- Dundurn National Historic Site, Whitehern Historic House & Garden, The Hamilton Military Museum, Battlefield House Museum & Park, and the Hamilton Museum of Steam & Technology will be closed Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day.
- Fieldcote Memorial Park & Museum is closed Christmas Day through New Year’s Day.
- Griffin House is closed for the season.
- Details: www.hamilton.ca/museums
Tourism Hamilton Visitor Information Centre
- The Visitor Information Centre (Lister Building, 28 James St. N) will be closed from December 25 until January 1. For more details, visit www.tourismhamilton.com/visitor-services
Hamilton Farmers' Market
The Farmers' Market hours are:
- Sunday December 24: Closed
- Monday December 25: Closed
- Tuesday December 26: Closed
- Wednesday December 27: Closed
- Thursday December 28: 8 am to 6 pm
- Friday December 29: 8 am to 6 pm
- Saturday December 30: 7 am to 5 pm
- Sunday December 31: Closed
- Monday January 1: Closed
- Tuesday January 2: Closed
- Wednesday January 3: Closed
- Thursday January 4: 8 am to 6 pm
Hamilton Public Library
- All Hamilton Public Library locations will be closed on December 24, 25, 26 and 31 as well as January 1. Holiday hours will be in effect December 27-30, with regular hours resuming January 2. For more information on library hours, visit www.hpl.ca.
Public Health Services
For Public Health matters concerning:
- Reports of suspected reportable diseases and food poisoning, call 905-546-2063
- Reports of environmental spills, fires or other events that may be a health hazard or safety issue, call 905-546-2489
- Reports of rabies animal exposures, call 905-546-2489
- Safe Water Program issues that may be a health hazard, call 905-546-2489 or visit www.hamilton.ca/safewater
- All Ontario Works offices, including the Career Development Centre, will be closed Monday, December, 25, 2017 to Monday, January 1, 2018. All offices will re-open on Tuesday, January 2, 2018 at 8:30 am
- For emergencies during shut down days of December 27, 28, 29, Ontario Works participants may call the regular line 905-546- 4800 and press zero (0) to be sent to the call center for assistance from 8:30 am to 12 pm. There will be a voicemail prompt to direct participants.
- Animal Services Shelter Hours at 247 Dartnall Road will be open as follows:
December 23, 24, 30 and 31: 10 am to 2 pm.
December 27, 28, 29: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Closed December 25, 26 and January 1.
- For 24-hour Animal Services emergency issues, please call: 905-574-3433.
Property Tax Payments
- During the holiday, you may submit your property tax payment into a drop box at the rear doors of City Hall, 71 Main Street West or at one of our Municipal Service Centres. Only cheque payments will be accepted in the drop box.
- All Municipal Service Centres will be closed from Monday, December 25 through to Monday, January 1 and will re-open on Tuesday January 2.
Municipal Service Centre locations:
Payments may also be made anytime by mail to:
The City of Hamilton
c/o Tax Department
71 Main Street West
Hamilton, Ontario, L8P 4Y5
- The Parking Office at 80 Main Street West will be closed from Friday, December 22 at 4:30 pm and re-open on Tuesday, January 2 at 8:30 am.
- Online payments can be made at: www.hamilton.ca/pay-your-ticket
Payment of parking violations can also be made by:
- mailing to the pre-printed address indicated on the parking tag
- dropping off into the drop box at the nearest Municipal Service Centre or Parking Office at 80 Main St. West, at Summers Lane.
- The Provincial Offences Administration Office at 45 Main St. East, 4th Floor, Suite 408 (John Sopinka Court House) will be closed December 25 through January 1. Office will re-open on January 2.
Online payments can be made anytime at: www.hamilton.ca/pay-your-ticket
Licensing and By-Law Services
The Licensing and By-Law Services office is closed for the holidays from Friday, December 22, 2107 and will re-open on January 2, 2018 at 8:30 am.
- If you have a matter that requires immediate attention such as inadequate heat, vital services, snow and ice that needs to be removed on city sidewalks or a health and safety concern, please call the City’s Customer Contact Centre at 905-546-2489.
- For noise complaints contact Hamilton Police Services at 905-546-4925. Please be aware that information on City of Hamilton by-laws can be found on the City’s website at www.hamilton.ca/bylaws. Thank you and we wish you a safe and happy holiday!