July 12 2019
HAMILTON, ON - Earlier today, Hamilton City Council approved an expansion of the Mountain Climber pilot program to include all accesses the HSR operates on throughout the city. This program allows cyclists to take an HSR bus up or down the escarpment for free.
Details for an official launch, which will take effect Thursday August 1, 2019, will be shared in the coming weeks.
To participate in the Mountain Climber program, cyclists should wait at one of the marked stops and secure their bike to the front bike rack on the bus and let the operator know they are riding for free as a Mountain Climber; and depart the bus at the first available stop once up or down the escarpment roadway.
Background and Additional Information
- Staff launched the Mountain Climber Program in 2017 as a pilot on James Mountain Road. Cyclists are allowed a free ride up or down the access provided they board and disembark at designated stops.
- The pilot program was made permanent in 2018, and in the same year the program expanded to two new pilot locations.
- Staff have monitored the two new pilot locations and have determined that there have been minimal impacts to HSR Operations, generally positive feedback from users and residents, a healthy but not overwhelming number of users, and a nominal financial impact.
- Pilot locations on Kenilworth Access and Beckett Drive are now permanent locations.
- Five New locations added to the program:
- Waterdown Road / Mill Street South (Route 18), Wilson Street East (Route 5A/5C), Jolley Cut / Arkledun Avenue (Routes 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27), Red Hill Valley Parkway (Route 11), and Centennial Parkway South / Upper Centennial Parkway (Route 44)
- Staff will monitor for one year and report back to Council
Alignment to the 2016 – 2025 Strategic Plan
- Healthy and Safe Communities Hamilton is a safe and supportive City where people are active, healthy, and have a high quality of life.
- Clean and Green Hamilton is environmentally sustainable with a healthy balance of natural and urban spaces.
- Built Environment and Infrastructure Hamilton is supported by state of the art infrastructure, transportation options, buildings and public spaces that create a dynamic City.
- Mountain Climber Program