November 29 2021
HAMILTON, ON - The public is invited to nominate their favourite artist or arts community champion for the 2022 City of Hamilton Arts Awards. Nominations will be accepted until Friday, January 14, 2022, via www.hamilton.ca/artsawards.
Artists and arts organizations have played a vital role in enhancing our quality of life during the pandemic, and the Arts Awards are an opportunity to celebrate their outstanding achievements.
The Hamilton Arts Awards nomination process is now simplified, making it easier than ever for the public to nominate artists in the following three categories:
- Creator Awards
Recognizes excellence amongst artists, arts managers or artistic collectives (including bands) working in any artistic discipline and at any career level.
- Arts Champion Awards
Acknowledges the essential work of arts sector volunteers, advocates, or board members.
- Lifetime Achievement Award
Recognizes those who have contributed substantially to the artistic vitality of the city over the course of a career.
Recipients in all categories will be announced in June 2022, as part of Hamilton Arts Week. In addition to profiling and honouring nominees, the Arts Awards event will feature performances by local artists and dynamic arts programming, continuing a tradition of celebration and respect for Hamilton’s creative culture.
- Recipients of the Creator and Lifetime Achievement Awards will receive a cash award of $2,500, a commemorative medallion or certificate, and civic and media recognition. Arts Champions will be recognized with a special gift of recognition.
- Up to nine Creator Awards, four Arts Champion Awards, and a single Lifetime Achievement Award may be awarded in 2022.
- Nominators are required to submit their nominee contact information and a brief statement outlining why they feel they should be nominated.
- Hard copy nomination forms are available by emailing [email protected] or by calling (905) 546-2424 ext. 7612.
- Public nominations will be reviewed by a panel of artists and arts sector experts, and award winners will be selected by a jury of leading arts professionals.
- Cobalt Connects, the Arts Awards Program Consultant for 2022, oversees the nomination and adjudication process as well as event production.
- The City of Hamilton and program sponsors have awarded $350,000 and 180 awards since 2011. The Arts Awards program was established in 1976.
“Our city is home to many talented artists and arts organizations who directly benefit our community through enhancing Hamilton with creativity and innovative ideas. We should take every opportunity to celebrate the outstanding artists in our city, and all their achievements from the past year. I look forward to the June 2022 Hamilton Arts Week and honouring the award winners.”
Mayor Fred Eisenberger
“We were thrilled to see a record number of public nominations come through for the 2021 City of Hamilton Arts Awards - a testament to the impact that artists, creatives, and arts community leaders have had on our lives during the pandemic. We look forward to recognizing even more Hamilton artists and arts community supporters through the 2022 Awards.”
Carrie Brooks-Joiner, Director of Tourism and Culture