November 9 2018
HAMILTON, ON – The City of Hamilton invites the public to recognize the vital contributions that artists and arts community leaders make to Hamilton by submitting a nomination to the 2019 Arts Awards program. Nominations are now being accepted until Friday, February 15, 2019 at 4 pm.
The City of Hamilton Arts Awards, one of the oldest municipal arts awards programs in Canada, recognizes the outstanding achievements of our city’s established and emerging artists in eleven categories and presents $36,500 in cash awards.
Emerging artists (practicing professionally for five years or less) can be nominated for a Shirley Elford Emerging Artist Prize, presented by the Shirley M. Elford Artist's Fund - Hamilton Community Foundation. In 2019 the Shirley Elford Emerging Artist Prizes will be awarded in Dance and Performing Arts, and Music; prize categories change annually.
Award recipients will be announced at a public event on June 13, 2019 as part of Hamilton Arts Week. In addition to profiling and honoring nominees, the Arts Awards event will feature performances by local artists and dynamic arts programming, continuing a growing tradition of celebration and respect for Hamilton’s creative culture.
“The Arts are the heart and soul of Hamilton, and we invite citizens to assist us in recognizing the full breadth of achievement by our local arts community, the individual artists and organizations who are its ambassadors, and the community members who support and engage in this work throughout our community.” - Anna Bradford, Director of Tourism and Culture
- Nominations can be made in 12 categories recognizing artists and arts community leaders.
- The recipients of the 2019 City of Hamilton Arts Awards will receive a cash award ranging from $1000 to $2500, a commemorative medallion or certificate, and civic and media recognition.
- The 2019 Nomination deadline is Friday, February 15, 2019 at 4 pm.
Additional Information and Resources
2019 Nominations Forms can be found:
- Online at www.hamilton.ca/artsawards
- Hard copy forms are available at the Tourism Hamilton Visitor Centre, Lister Building, 28 James St. N., Ground Floor. Monday to Friday, 9 am to 4 pm.
- For more information about the Arts Awards program including eligibility criteria, submission requirements and how nominations are scored, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 905-546-2424 ext. 7612 or visit the Arts Awards website at www.hamilton.ca/artsawards.
- Follow us on Twitter: @hamartsawards #HAA2019; Facebook: CityofHamiltonArtsAwards.
- The Arts Awards is a City of Hamilton program managed by the Tourism and Culture Division.
- Cobalt Connects, the Arts Awards Program Consultant for 2019, oversees the nomination and adjudication process as well as event production.
- The City of Hamilton has awarded $257,000 and 137 awards since 2011.