Toxic blue-green algae has been confirmed at Pier 4 Beach in Hamilton Harbour.  Do not come into contact with the water. City of Hamilton conducting clean up along parts of the Hamilton Harbour shoreline.

 
News Centre

News Releases

Notice of Intention to Designate 1062 Golf Club Road, Glanbrook (Woodburn Hall)

The City of Hamilton intends to designate 1062 Golf Club Road, Glanbrook under Section 29 of the Ontario Heritage Act, as being a property of cultural heritage value.

Why?

Located at 1062 Golf Club Road, Woodburn Hall is historically significant as a late nineteenth-century schoolhouse, which served a central and ongoing role within the life and development of farming communities in and around Woodburn. The property’s historical value also lies in its subsequent use as a community hall and host for the community’s Centennial celebrations in 1967. The subject property educated generations of children and then later hosted community banquets, receptions, and reunions, making this property a significant and essential component of Woodburn’s early development and later evolution into a community situated within a growing municipality.

The Statement of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest, Description of Heritage Attributes and supporting Cultural Heritage Assessment (PDF, 8 MB) may also be viewed in person during regular business hours at:

Office of the City Clerk
71 Main Street West,
1st Floor, Hamilton, Ontario

Written Notice of Objection

Any person may, within 30 days after the date of the publication of the Notice, serve written notice of their objections to the proposed designation, together with a statement for the objection and relevant facts.

Dated at Hamilton, this 22 day of September, 2017.

R. Caterini
City Clerk
Hamilton, Ontario

Contact:
Jeremy Parsons
Cultural Heritage Planner
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext. 1214
Email: [email protected]

The subject property retains historical, architectural, and contextual value.

This property is historically significant as it illustrates important themes and events essential to the nineteenth and twentieth-century development of the hamlet of Woodburn and former Township of Binbrook. It retains a late nineteenth-century schoolhouse, which like many rural schools, served a central and ongoing role within the life and development of farming communities in and around Woodburn. The property’s historical value also lies in its subsequent use as a community hall and host for the community’s Centennial celebrations in 1967. The subject property educated generations of children and then later hosted community banquets, receptions, and reunions, making this property a significant and essential component of Woodburn’s early development and later evolution into a community situated within a growing municipality.

The subject property is also significant for its architectural value. It retains a former one-room schoolhouse, constructed in a Victorian vernacular architectural style which is characterised by a prominent bell tower topped with a bell-shaped roof, elongated rectangular fenestration, brick corbel trim along the gable roof line, common bond brick, and cut stone foundation. While this architectural style type would have been relatively common among schoolhouse construction in the late nineteenth century and within rural areas, it is now an under-represented building type in Hamilton. In this sense, and because of sympathetic renovations that have been made to the structure over time, it is considered to be a good example of the City’s rural cultural heritage and institutional fabric that has supported communities outside of the traditional downtown core.

The single-storey schoolhouse is contextually significant as a well-preserved and important element that contributes to the present character of the surrounding rural residential and agricultural landscape. The former schoolhouse was a central building within the life of the hamlet of Woodburn and remains a tangible resource that provides a direct link to the rural agricultural past of this community.

The heritage attributes of the property at 1062 Golf Club Road, Glanbrook include:

  • All four facades/elevations of the building;
  • Bell tower with bell-shaped roof supported by wooden posts, bell, 1898 date stone, recessed brick squares, arched doorway with brick arch and drip mold, rectangular windows with stone sills, lintels, and brick arch and drip mold, and commemorative elements associated with the Canadian Centennial;
  • Fenestration with elongated rectangular windows with top lights and stone sills and lintels;
  • Oval window with pronounced key stones;
  • Gabled roof and roof line;
  • Brick corbel trim along the roof line;
  • External brick chimney;
  • Red brick construction;
  • One-storey scale with basement;
  • Cut stone foundations;
  • Remaining early/original windows;
  • Location near the intersection of two historically surveyed concession roads: Golf Club Road and Woodburn Road;
  • Tree line along Golf Club Road; and,
  • Contextual relationship of the property within the surrounding rural residential area as manifested by the property boundaries, setback from the road, and open lawns.