Learn more about the provincial framework and how our community’s collective effort can prevent and contain the spread of the virus...
September 14 2019
HAMILTON, ON - The City of Hamilton celebrated the re-opening of the J.L. Grightmire Arena today with an official ribbon-cutting ceremony. City of Hamilton Mayor Fred Eisenberger welcomed Ward 13 Councillor Arlene VanderBeek and City Staff to mark the occasion.
“It's been a long haul getting the arena renovation project across the finish line. Now that we are here, we hope the hockey community, Dundas residents and other users of the facility are impressed with every detail, including two spectacular viewing areas on both the main and second levels as well as the openness of the new entrance and lobby space."
Director, Energy, Fleet & Facilities Management, Public Works
“The Recreation Division is extremely excited that the J.L Grightmire Arena will be opening. The facility looks great and we cannot wait for the community to enjoy this arena for years to come."
Director, Recreation Division, Healthy & Safe Communities
“The arena has been an integral part of the fabric of the Dundas community for as long as I can remember. We are enormously pleased to be “back home”. We are anxious to experience the new and improved aspects of the facility and are looking forward to enjoying the familiarity of our old rink."
Councillor, Ward 3
- The J.L. Grightmire Arena closed in fall 2017 for renovations. Its last major renovation took place in 1982.
- The project budget for the 2016 renovations is $7 million.
- The renovations included:
- A nearly 20,000 sq. ft. addition to the existing facility.
- Three floors, two above and one below grade, with elevator access to all levels.
- Six new change rooms, including two barrier free change rooms in the basement with direct access to the arena level.
- Upgrades to Junior and Senior change room facilities.
- New concession area with repurposed and reused equipment from the Hockeyville renovations.
- New 200 m walking track around the bowl of the arena.
- Second floor viewing area and multipurpose space.
- A brand new chiller plant for making and maintaining the ice.
- New boards and protective netting around the rink.
- Arena roof repairs and re-roofing of specific areas.
- Fresh paint on arena floors, railings, and doors.
- New railings throughout the facility
- New plumbing fixtures in existing restrooms.
- Concrete paving between the Arena and Theatre.
- New paving between the Theatre and pool.
- Painting and upgrades to the exterior of the Theatre.