January 17 2021
Hamilton, ON – Due to the current supply issue with the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, the province has directed to only continue vaccinating residents, staff and essential caregivers in long-term care homes and high risk retirement homes, and to stop administering first doses of both the COVID-19 Moderna and Pfizer vaccines to all other individuals at this time as we await further supply of the vaccine.
This delay is temporary and the province has advised that Pfizer expects they will be able to send enough vaccine to restart by March.
Those individuals who have already received a first dose of either vaccine will be able to get a second dose.
- To date, the mobile clinic has completed vaccination of the residents at the following facilities: Idylewyld Manor, St. Peter’s Residence, Hamilton Continuing Care, Macassa Lodge, Shalom Village, The Village at Wentworth Heights, Arbour Creek, Grace Villa, Clarion Nursing Home, Lakeview Nursing Home and Alexander Place, and the mobile clinic team completed vaccinations at additional long-term care facilities this past weekend
- Hamilton’s health system is continuing to work together to reduce the spread of COVID-19 in our community, following the priority framework set out by the provincial government, to preserve healthcare and hospital capacity and to protect people in vulnerable settings like long-term care homes
- It is vital that members of the public ensure that public health measures still be practiced until it is safe and said to be safe by the health professionals in all levels of government. Public health measures include:
- limit gatherings to only members of your immediate household
- maintain a physical distance of 6 feet or 2 meters from others outside of your immediate household
- wash hands frequently
- wear a mask or face covering indoors and outdoors when not able to maintain physical distancing
- stay home if you are feeling unwell
- get tested for COVID-19 if you have symptoms or have been in close contact with a confirmed positive case of COVID-19
For more information about COVID-19 vaccines, visit hamilton.ca/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccines
“The news of the temporary halt in administering first doses of COVID-19 vaccines is extremely frustrating. Hamilton has administered over 10,000 vaccinations to-date and with the rising number of people testing positive for the virus in our community, it is imperative we complete the two-dose vaccination program for our most vulnerable populations. Now, it is up to each of us to do everything it takes to stop the spread of this virus and continue to follow public health advice. We cannot let this set-back take us all off course or lose focus. We can and will get through this together.”
- Mayor Fred Eisenberger