January 14 2016
HAMILTON, ON – January 14, 2016 – As the City begins to experience colder winter temperatures, we offer these helpful hints on how to reduce the risk of frozen water pipes.
- Seal air leaks in your home and garage
- Install insulated pipe sleeves, UL listed heat tape or heat cables (found at your local building supply and home improvement stores) on exposed pipes in unheated areas of your home such as crawl spaces, cold cellars, basements, attics, storage rooms and garages
- Disconnect and drain all outdoor hoses
- Shut off and drain all outdoor taps
- Let a cold water faucet run a minimal amount of water on nights when the temperature is below freezing to prevent service line freeze-up
- Open kitchen, bathroom and laundry cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing
- Keep garage doors closed if there are water supply lines in the garage
For more information (including a video on how to help prevent your pipes from freezing) visit www.hamilton.ca/frozenpipes.
To report a frozen water service please call Hamilton Water Customer Service at 905-546-4426, or by visiting www.hamilton.ca/frozenpipes.