October 3 2017
HAMILTON, ON - October 3, 2017 - The City of Hamilton has opened registration for the 2017 Our Future Hamilton Summit. The theme for this year’s annual Summit is Shaping Democracy Through Civic Engagement. The Summit will bring community partners, stakeholders and residents together to discuss how to shape our democracy through citizen participation, in addition to sharing progress and highlighting the work of community partners and residents.
"The focus for this year’s Our Future Hamilton Summit – Shaping Democracy Through Civic Engagement – highlights what Hamiltonians and community partners alike have identified as a key priority for our community vision. This Summit will provide an opportunity for all to explore barriers to civic participation and identify areas for improvement. I encourage everyone to register today."
Mayor Fred Eisenberger - City of Hamilton
Our Future Hamilton is the City’s 25-year community vision. The City, along with over 70 community organizations, has committed to implementing Our Future Hamilton priorities. Each year, the Our Future Hamilton Summit will explore current issues that our community prioritized through the 25-year community visioning process.
- Our Future Hamilton engaged nearly 55,000 residents and community partners to create a shared community vision
- Six community priorities emerged for Hamilton’s new 25-year community vision. They include:
- Community Engagement and Participation
- Economic Growth and Prosperity
- Healthy and Safe Communities
- Clean and Green
- Built Environment and Infrastructure
- Culture and Diversity
- Our Future Hamilton provides 81 key directions and 57 signs of success to guide long-term planning
- City Council approved Hamilton’s new community vision in February 2016
- The City of Hamilton also adopted the community vision priorities which informed the City’s new 10-year strategic plan
- Over 70 major organizations and community partners have committed to moving the community vision forward through their organizational initiatives.
- A Community Champion campaign was recently launched to inspire, capture, and share resident-driven actions supporting the vision.