March 1 2018
HAMILTON, ON – With the Winter Storm Warning of heavy snow and blowing snow significant winds predicted this evening, the City is asking residents with waste collection scheduled for tomorrow to take steps to ensure their recycling material, green cart and waste containers do not blow around their neighbourhood.
Tips for securing waste and containers in heavy snow and high winds
- Wait until 7 am to place green cart, blue boxes and garbage at the curb
- Place heaviest recycling items on the top of the blue box to weigh down the lighter items
- Stand up paper or cardboard in the blue box instead of laying it flat
- Keep recyclables below the rim of the blue box
- Don’t use a garbage bin – use a bag instead so the container does not blow around once emptied
- Clear the snow off of the blue boxes, green carts and waste containers so they are visible to the collection crews from the street
Residents who wish to hold back their recycling and green cart until their next regularly scheduled collection date may do so. There is no limit to the amount of recycling or organics that can be put out each week. Residents who hold back garbage until their next collection date will need to attach a trash tag if they use an extra bag.