April 26 2017
HAMILTON, ON, April 26, 2017 – The City of Hamilton is hosting the first pair of six compost and woodchip giveaways this coming weekend in Ancaster and Dundas.
Each week throughout the year, the City picks up residents’ yard waste as part of the curbside yard waste collection program. After it’s picked up, it’s processed and turned into nutrient-rich compost. Every year in the spring, the City gives some of the compost back to residents for gardens, plants and lawns.
Residents are asked to bring their own buckets or containers, shovel, and elbow grease to the giveaway location starting at 7 am (while quantities last).
Compost and woodchip giveaway events:
Saturday, April 29, 2017
- Ancaster Public Works Yard, 501 Shaver Road, Ancaster
- Dundas Public Works Yard, 189 King Street E, Dundas
Saturday, May 6, 2017
- Joe Sams Leisure Park, 752 Centre Road, Waterdown
- Rymal Road Public Works Yard, 308 Rymal Road, East, Hamilton
Saturday, May 13, 2017
- Rennie/Brampton Public Works Yard, 2200 Brampton Street, Hamilton
- Jones Road Public Works Yard, 349 Jones Road, Stoney Creek
The compost and woodchips are for use by residents and are not intended for commercial businesses.
Cash donations will be collected at each site for the Hamilton Food Share, which provides more than 2.5 million pounds of healthy food per year to supply 11 Hamilton-area food banks. For every dollar donated, five dollars in food is provided to the food banks. Donations made at the compost events will be matched one-to-one by the Pinball Clemons Foundation.