March 6 2020
HAMILTON, ON - The Hamilton Urban Indigenous Strategy and Battlefield House Museum & Park in partnership with the Hamilton Regional Indian Centre invite the public to attend the first annual Spring Equinox Gathering on Sat., March 21, 2020 from 11 to 2 pm at Battlefield Park, 77 King St. W., Stoney Creek.
This outdoor gathering will consist of a traditional opening, drumming, acknowledgements, guest speakers and refreshments. The focus of the event is on the white pine trees newly planted in the park and their meaning as the Haudenosaunee tree of peace.
- The key objectives of the Hamilton Urban Indigenous Strategy are to:
- Identify actions within municipal jurisdiction and capacity arising from the 2015 Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) of Canada’s Final Report;
- Celebrate and honour Indigenous people, cultures and traditions;
- Promote a greater understanding among all Hamiltonians through public education on the histories and contributions of Indigenous peoples;
- Create opportunities for education and internal collaboration among City staff to strengthen the relationship with the Indigenous community and service provider.
- Battlefield House Museum & Park is a National Historic Site of Canada owned and operated by the City of Hamilton.
- The Battle of Stoney Creek of June 6, 1813 is considered a turning point in the War of 1812.
- Eagles Among Us, located in the northwest corner of Battlefield Park, is a public art sculpture capturing elements of ancient Indigenous wisdom and knowledge for a modern age.
- The planting of white pine trees in Battlefield Park is part of the City of Hamilton Urban Forestry Strategy created to promote and preserve a sustainable urban forest through species diversity, tree-health management, professionalism and community awareness.
- Urban Indigenous Strategy
- Battlefield Public Art Project Eagles Among Us
- For the full list of events presented by Hamilton Civic Museums, visit www.hamilton.ca/museumevents
- For a comprehensive events calendar, download the City of Hamilton CityApp, for Android and iOS users, through Google Play and App Store