May 17 2017
HAMILTON, ON - May 17, 2017 - Eleven magnificent Tall Ships will gather on Lake Ontario near the entrance to the Burlington Bay Canal on Friday, June 30 for a Parade of Sail around Hamilton Harbour beginning at 2 pm with all ships docking at Pier 8 at 4 pm.
The Parade of Sail launches the Rendez-Vous 2017 Tall Ships Regatta at Pier 8, Discovery Drive, through July 1. You won’t want to miss this rare opportunity to witness the spectacle of 11 Tall Ships gracing Hamilton’s beautiful Waterfront.
Where to watch
Prominent vantage points to watch the parade include:
- Pier 8
- Bayfront & Pier 4 Parks
- York Boulevard Bridge
- Burlington Canal and Fisherman’s Pier
- Eastport Drive
- LaSalle and Bayshore Parks in Burlington
This year, Hamilton joins cities across the country to celebrate Canada’s 150th year as a nation. This important anniversary offers us all a chance to reflect on our city’s contributions to the growth of our nation – from our proud industrial roots to the exciting revitalization transforming our city. It’s also a chance to imagine the kind of city we want to build moving forward.
"I welcome opportunities to highlight our Waterfront and bring citizens down to the harbour for unique experiences. To view the Tall Ships Parade of Sail on June 30 will be a very fitting tribute to the Canada 150 celebrations." - Fred Eisenberger, Mayor, City of Hamilton
- More than 40 Tall Ships will be sailing Canadian waters to honour the 150th anniversary of the Canadian Confederation in 2017, with stops in Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes
- RDV 2017 offers once-in-a-lifetime opportunities to become a crew member on one of the Tall Ships. For information about sail training, visit www.rdv2017.com/en/trainee/
- For more information about this and other Canada 150 events, please visit www.Hamilton.ca/Canada150.