March 21 2019
HAMILTON, ON – On Monday, March 25, the City of Hamilton will begin major reconstruction work on Locke Street between Main St W and Stanley Avenue. Work and intermittent road closures will continue throughout the summer months until approximately November 2019. All businesses in the area will remain open and parking on side streets and adjacent surface lots will remain available.
Over the coming months, Locke Street will receive the following upgrades:
- Road reconstruction, including new curbs, sidewalks, bump outs and a freshly paved road surface
- Improved accessibility including urban braille and wider sidewalks
- Underground improvements including new 500mm and 200mm watermains and sewer lining
- Bike lanes will be installed from Hunter Street West to King Street West.
- Street furniture, urban trees, increased parking, and a coloured concrete boulevard.
Given the significance of this project, the City has created a special webpage for interested residents and visitors to learn more about the upgrades and track progress of the construction and road closures by visiting http://map.hamilton.ca/lockestimprovements
HSR customers may experience delays on routes #6 Aberdeen, #7 Locke and #8 York beginning March 25, 2019. Details will be posted at www.hamilton.ca/hsrdetours.
The City thanks residents for their patience and cooperation as we complete these important infrastructure improvements.