September 14 2017
Hamilton, ON - September 14, 2017 - The winner of the Pier 8 Promenade Park design competition will be announced at a public event held at the Waterfront Trail on the site of the future park on Pier 8. The announcement will take place Friday, September 22 at 11 am.
Friday, September 22
Time: 11 am to 12 noon
Pier 8 at the Waterfront Trail, Hamilton, ON
In the event of inclement weather, the event will take place at the Hamilton Waterfront Trust Centre
The announcement will be followed by a tour of the new marina facilities.
Who will be there
- Mayor Fred Eisenberger, City of Hamilton
- Jason Farr, Ward 2 Councillor, City of Hamilton
- Chris Phillips, Waterfront Project Manager, City of Hamilton
- Ken Coit, Program Manager - Public Art and Projects, City of Hamilton
- Winning design team lead
Interviews and photo opportunities will be available onsite.
The Mayor is scheduled to make remarks. Remarks will also be made by staff, a member of the jury, and a representative from the winning design team.
About the Design Competition
Six design concepts for Pier 8 Promenade Park were unveiled on Thursday, August 24 and were on display at the Lister Block and online from Thursday, August 24 until September 10. Members of the public were invited to review the design concepts and provide comment on how well the designs incorporated the park vision, design objectives and program elements.
The winning design was selected by a volunteer jury of experts based on design excellence, innovation, response to the vision and goals for the park, and community opinions. A report explaining the jury’s decision making process will be publicly released after the winning design is announced.
Construction on the park is anticipated to begin in spring 2018.
Additional resources & information
- The Promenade Park, approved by Council as part of the Pier 7+8 Urban Design Study, is an integral feature in the City of Hamilton’s bold vision for an accessible, inclusive, diverse and mixed-use waterfront district
- The six competing design teams are led by: MBTW Group; Hargreaves Associates; Janet Rosenberg & Studio; Forrec Ltd.; PFS Studio; and gh3
- Design competition costs, including design team stipends and jury costs, will be covered through an $185,000 donation from the Patrick J. McNally Charitable Foundation, as part of the foundation’s pilot project to enhance and improve public spaces in Hamilton
- View more information about the Pier 8 Promenade Park: hamilton.ca/pier8parkdesign
- Learn more about Hamilton's Waterfront Redevelopment