Learn more about the provincial framework and how our community’s collective effort can prevent and contain the spread of the virus...
Collection of Personal Health Information
Public Health Services (PHS) is a health unit and a “health information custodian” for the purposes of the Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 (PHIPA). In accordance with PHIPA and the Health Protection and Promotion Act (HPPA) we collect personal health information (PHI) about you directly from you or the person acting on your behalf. The personal health information that we collect may be in various forms and may include, for example, your name, date of birth, address, health history, records of your visits to PHS and the care you received during those visits. Occasionally we collect personal health information about you from other sources, if we have obtained your consent to do so or if the law permits.
How is my Personal Health Information Used and Disclosed?
We use and disclose your personal health information to:
- Treat and care for you
- Conduct quality activities
- Get payment for your treatment and care from OHIP
- Plan, administer and evaluate programs or services
- Compile statistics
- Comply with legal and regulatory requirements
- Notify you of an appointment or change to an appointment
- Fulfil other purposes permitted or required by law
- Conduct client satisfaction surveys
- Facilitate the federal and provincial government goals of providing Canadians with an electronic health record
What are my Rights as a Client?
You may withdraw your consent for the following uses:
- Client satisfaction surveys
- Some federal/provincial electronic health records systems
- The disclosure of your personal health information to other health care providers who provide health services
- Voluntary health programs
You may access and correct your personal health records. Please contact the Public Health Services Privacy Officer for more information on accessing, correcting or withdrawing your consent.
How we Protect your Personal Health Information
- We take steps to protect your personal health information from theft, loss and unauthorized access, copying, modification, use, disclosure and disposal.
- We conduct audits and complete investigations to monitor and manage our privacy compliance
- We take steps to ensure that everyone who performs services for us, protects your privacy and only uses your personal health information for the purposes to which you have consented.
Who do I contact for more information about my Rights as a Client?
For more information about PHS’ privacy practices or to raise a concern you have with your practices, please contact us:
PHS Privacy Officer
110 King Street West, 2nd Floor
Hamilton, ON, L8P 4S6
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext 2946
Email: [email protected]
You have the right to contact the Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario if you think we have violated your rights. The Commissioner can be reached at:
Information and Privacy Commissioner
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
Toronto, ON, M4W 1A8
Phone: 416-326-3333 or 1-800-387-0073
- Date modified: