The City of Hamilton’s free wireless/wi-fi network (listed as “Hamilton_Guest”) is open to all visitors free of charge. Getting online is quick and simple: all you need is a wireless/wi-fi-enabled laptop computer, tablet PC, or smart phone.
Any person who accesses or uses the wireless network is personally responsible and liable for his or her own actions and use. Access and use of the internet and all internet services such as email shall be at your own risk.
This policy applies to all wireless network devices utilizing the City of Hamilton’s IP address range (including private IP address space) and all network users of such devices. Printer access is not directly available via the wireless network. City employee may access printing services by connecting to the internal City network.
The Network Support section within the City’s Information Technology Services is responsible for the configuration and maintenance of the wireless network infrastructure, up to and including wireless access points, authentication and security provisions for wireless access.
The City is not responsible for supporting connections to the wireless network made by the Public. Technical support (staff assistance) will not be provided for non-City standard equipment.
Where the City has tried to ensure wireless access is available in the area designated users may encounter occasional “dead zones” possibly as a result of a weak signal or too many users connected.
THE SERVICE AND ANY PRODUCTS OR SERVICES PROVIDED ON OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICE ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS", "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND. ALL WARRANTIES, CONDITIONS, REPRESENTATIONS, INDEMNITIES AND GUARANTEES WITH RESPECT TO THE CONTENT OR SERVICE AND THE OPERATION, CAPACITY, SPEED, SECURITY, FUNCTIONALITY, RELIABILITY, QUALIFICATIONS, OR CAPABILITIES OF THE SERVICES, GOODS OR PERSONNEL RESOURCES PROVIDED HEREUNDER, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, ARISING BY LAW, CUSTOM, PRIOR ORAL OR WRITTEN STATEMENTS BY The City of Hamilton, OR OTHERWISE (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY OF SATISFACTORY QUALITY, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT) ARE HEREBY OVERRIDDEN, EXCLUDED AND DISCLAIMED. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARANTIES, SO THE ABOVE EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
Limitation of liability
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL EITHER THE CITY OF HAMILTON OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, INDIRECT, OR SPECIAL DAMAGES OF ANY NATURE, OR FOR ANY LOST REVENUES, LOST PROFITS OR LOSS OF BUSINESS REGARDLESS OF THE CAUSE OF ACTION, AND WHETHER OR NOT FORESEEABLE. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE CITY OF HAMILTON OR ITS SUPPLIERS' CUMULATIVE LIABILITY EXCEED THE FEES PAID BY CUSTOMER THROUGH THE MONTH IN WHICH THE CLAIM AROSE EVEN IF THE CITY OF HAMILTON IS INFORMED OF THE POSSIBLITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
In addition, the City of Hamilton and its suppliers will not be responsible for any damages, losses, expenses or costs that Customer suffers AS A RESULT OF:
(i) any interruption or failure of the Services OR Products;
(ii) the downloading or use of any information, data or materials obtained via the Services OR FROM THE Internet;
(iii) any failure to complete a transaction on the Internet OR USING THE SERVICES or ANY loss of data due to delays, non-deliveries, mis-deliveries, or Service interruptions;
(iv) ANYTHING BEYOND THE REASONABLE CONTROL OF THE CITY OF HAMILTON, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO any interruption or failure of a third party's services, software, equipment or network;
(v) any unauthorized use or modification of Services or Products or combination of Services or Products with other services, products or equipment;
(vi) viruses, worms, trojan horses, or other undesirable data or software; or
(vii) the attempt by unauthorized users (e.g., hackers) to obtain access to Customer's data, web-site, computers, or networks.
You agree to hold harmless and indemnify the City of Hamilton, their representatives, employees, agents, affiliates, suppliers and licensors from and against any third party claim arising from or in any way related to your use of the City of Hamilton’s wireless network, including any liability or expense arising from all claims, losses, damages (actual and consequential), suits, judgments, litigation costs and attorneys' fees, of every kind and nature.
Each user is responsible for ensuring the proper equipment is setup for wireless connectivity. Access to the City’s wireless network requires a wireless access card supporting IEEE WiFi standard 802.11b or 802.11g. The City is not responsible for and cannot guarantee use of the wireless network with each user’s equipment.
Access and authentication
Messages sent over the Internet may not be private. Encryption technology is available to help secure communications but is the responsibility of the user to install and configure the software if required. The City accepts no liability for the user’s equipment or network falling prey to ‘hackers’ or interception of communications. The City does not recommend users of any wireless network transmit any sensitive personal information, passwords, or credit card information over the wireless network.
Subject to privacy laws the City is authorized to collect information about you and your use of the wireless network. The information collected will be used to determine usage patterns and other associated planning activities and will not be shared with any other organization without your prior informed permission.
Fees, charges and payment
There is no fee or charge associated with access to the City of Hamilton’s wireless network, therefore there is no guarantees, warranties or service level assurance associated with the wireless network.
Internet content may be unreliable, offensive, etc.
The Internet offers access to a wealth of material that can be personally and professionally enriching. Be warned, however, that it is an unregulated environment containing information and opinions that range in scope from reliable and authoritative to harmful, controversial, extremely offensive or inflammatory. Some information found on the Internet may not be accurate, complete, or current and may be subject to change without notice. Reliance upon any material on the Internet shall be at your sole risk: all such material should be verified independently before you use or rely on it. The City is not responsible or liable for the content or quality of material retrieved and makes no warranty, express or implied, as to any material found on the Internet. In addition, the City shall not be held responsible or liable for server, hardware, or software settings, Internet transmission, monitor settings or website design and construction that produce incomplete or inaccurate data, material and information that maybe received and/or displayed on your Internet browser.
Parents responsible for supervising their minor children's internet use
Internet and wireless network are not secure
You are warned that (a) the Internet is not a secure medium and third parties may be able to obtain information about user activities; and (b) the wireless network is not secure and other users may be able to gain unauthorized access to, and contaminate, interfere with or otherwise harm your hardware or software. You shall accept responsibility for ensuring the use of current operating system patches, anti-virus and anti-spy-ware products, computer firewall, and other protective hardware and software while accessing and using the wireless network. The City shall not be responsible or liable for the security or privacy of your access and use of the wireless network or for any unauthorized access and/or resultant harm to your hardware or software.
Third party sites
References, links, hyperlinks and advertising contained on any City, or third party website are not approval, endorsements, or support of either the City for the third party or for the third party's goods and/or services. The City shall not be responsible or liable nor is any responsibility or liability assumed for incompatibility, loss of privacy, invasion of privacy, privacy disputes, non-suitability, viruses, loss of service, or any other problem of any kind arising from or in connection with the third party, the third party's website or the third party's goods and/or services.
Compliance with laws
Internet users are subject to federal, provincial and municipal laws regulating Internet use including, but not limited to, the provisions of the Criminal Code regarding obscenity, child pornography and incitement of hate and sedition. Internet users are also subject to decisions, orders, policies or other requirements of the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunication Commission (CRTC) or any other regulatory body with jurisdiction over wireless Internet service.
The copying or distribution of material found on the Internet may infringe on copyright or other intellectual property rights and the City shall not be responsible or liable for such activities. Use of the wireless network for illegal or unethical purposes is prohibited and may result in civil and/or criminal prosecution. By logging on to the wireless network, you agree to comply with all laws and regulations applicable to you, including but not limited to, the laws already referred to in this paragraph and all confidentiality, privacy and security laws.
Users are prohibited from, without limitation;
- Misrepresenting themselves as another user including the forging of message or packet headers whether in whole or in part.
- Attempting to modify or gain access to files, passwords, or data belonging to others.
- Attempting to collect or maintain any information about other users on the City’s network, including wireless users.
- Damaging or altering City, or other user's data, databases, information, hardware or software.
- Interfering with network integrity or security including modifying, adapting translating or reverse engineering any portion of the City of Hamilton’s network.
- Willfully disrupting network services of this or any other network.
- Gaining unlawful access to any site, network or host,
- Posting unlawful content, downloading software, applications, files, pictures, videos, music including viruses.
- Distributing of any Internet viruses, worms, pinging, flooding, mail bombing, denial of service attacks, defects, Trojan horses or other items of a destructive nature
- Accessing illegally or without authorization computers, accounts, equipment or networks belonging to the City of Hamilton or another party, or attempting to penetrate security measures of another system. This includes any activity that may be used as a precursor to an attempted system penetration, including but not limited to port scans, stealth scans or other information gathering activity.
- Using this wireless service for any unlawful, harassing, abusive, criminal or fraudulent purpose. We have the right to monitor, intercept and disclose any transmissions over or using our facilities, and to provide user information, or use records, and other related information under certain circumstances (for example, in response to lawful process, orders, subpoenas, or warrants, or to protect our rights, users or property).
- Sending spam or bulk or threatening emails or to hack websites, networks (including wireless), servers or computers or other devices.
- Contaminating any other computer, device, hardware or software with viruses, worms, spy-ware, phishing, or in any other way.
- Engaging in any activity that infringes or misappropriates the intellectual property, publicity, privacy or other proprietary rights of others, including patents, copyrights, trademarks, service marks, trade secrets, or any other proprietary right of any third party, or that is defamatory, objectionable, unlawful or promotes or encourages illegal activity.
- Transferring technology, software, or other materials in violation of applicable export laws and regulations.
- Reselling any aspect of the wireless service provided by the City of Hamilton.
- Behaving disruptively or threatening to others.
- Conducting yourself inappropriately on the Internet.
All users are expected to use the City of Hamilton’s wireless network in a legal and responsible manner.
Public wireless/wi-fi frequently asked questions
A list of frequently asked questions about the City of Hamilton's wireless network:
What is a wireless/wi-fi network?
A wireless/wi-fi network allows customers to connect their laptops or other mobile devices to the Internet without having to plug into a network port.
Do I need a password?
What can I use the wireless/wi-fi internet for?
The wireless/wi-fi connection at a City of Hamilton facility will allow you to access the Internet. The City uses reasonable efforts to reduce access to criminal, obscene or hate material on the internet by providing a filtered Wireless/Wi-Fi network.
What do I need to use wireless/wi-fi at a City facility?
You will need a wi-fi compliant wireless/wi-fi laptop computer, tablet PC, or smart phone device. Most wireless/wi-fi equipment will be compatible but the City cannot guarantee the compatibility of your equipment with the wireless/wi-fi network.
You will need a web browser such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Chrome etc.
How do I connect to the wireless/wi-fi network?
Every wireless/wi-fi card is different but here are some general instructions:
- Open your wireless/wi-ri connection software or tool. In your software you will be able to scan for any wireless/wi-fi networks.
- Your software should present you with all the wireless/wi-fi connections in the building, which in this case will be called "Hamilton_Guest".
- Choose 'activate' or 'connect', or ‘accept’ depending on the manufacturer of your wireless/wi-fi card. Now you are associated with the wireless/wi-fi network - associated is the wireless/wi-fi term for connected.
- Click on the City of Hamilton icon. If you are in a library, click on the Hamilton Public Library icon.
Will City employees help me configure my computer?
No. City employees are not able to provide technical assistance and no guarantee is given that you will be able to make a wireless/wi-fi connection. City employees cannot accept any liability for handling your equipment. The network is monitored and City staff will be notified if the public wireless/wi-fi is not functioning.
Is the City’s wireless/wi-fi network encrypted?
No. The wireless/wi-fi network is not encrypted. Information sent from or to your laptop could be captured by someone else using a wireless/wi-fi device and the appropriate software.
The City assumes no responsibility for the safety, security, files, information or data stored on your device. Refer to the Wireless/Wi-Fi Terms and Conditions of Use for more information.
Will I be disconnected when moving to another location?
Minimizing your movement is recommended; however, overlapping coverage is provided by a number of access points that are configured to allow for movement without loss of the connection.
Note: some areas may experience lack of coverage based on location.
What if I have a problem connecting?
The City cannot provide you technical assistance in configuring your wireless/wi-fi device or troubleshoot wireless/wi-fi access problems. There is no guarantee that your wireless/wi-fi device will work with our network.
The City of Hamilton assumes no responsibility for the safety or security of a patron’s personal equipment resulting from the connection to the City’s wireless/wi-finetwork.
The wireless/wi-finetwork is monitored by City staff and staff will be alerted when the wireless/wi-fi network is not functioning properly.
Where can I connect to the City’s wireless/wi-fi?
Public facing wireless/wi-fi is available at the following locations:
- Recreation Centres
- City Hall
- Municipal Service Centres
- Gage Park Fountain
- Gage Park Greenhouse
- Gage Park Splash Pad
- Gage Park Pump Track
- Gage Park Bandshell
Free wireless/wi-fi is also available in all Hamilton Public Library branches.
Map of wi-fi coverage for Gage Park
If you have any questions or comments, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Date modified: