Learn more about the provincial framework and how our community’s collective effort can prevent and contain the spread of the virus...
The Building Inspections service is responsible for all new construction and responds to complaints regarding illegal construction. This service ensures that:
- Newly constructed, enlarged, renovated and re-purposed buildings are Ontario Building Code compliant and are safe for the public and occupants.
- Swimming pool enclosures are constructed in compliance with the relevant by-law to restrict entry to privately owned pools and to ensure the safety of the public.
- Buildings formerly used as marijuana grow-ops are rehabilitated to be safe for re-occupancy.
- Buildings are not excessively fortified, as per the relevant by-law.
- All new construction complies with the zoning by-law.
- The Loans Program is delivered to Hamiltonians so that citizens who need assistance (loans/grant moneys) to upgrade their homes are provided with the aid they require.
- Finished grades comply with submitted grading plans for infill lot developments.
- The work associated with developments regulated by development agreements is congruent with the approvals granted.
- Houses are demolished within the timelines outlined in demolition agreements.
- Houses are protected from water/sewer backup.
- Industrial, Commercial, and Institutional buildings are protected from cross-connection in keeping with relevant by-laws.
- Complaints and inquiries regarding unsafe buildings are dealt with in timely fashion.
- Staff proactively attends properties to ensure compliance with the Ontario Building Code.
- Date modified: