The Corporate Energy Policy requires the City of Hamilton to achieve prescribed targets and meet prescribed energy and environmental standards, including standards for energy conservation and demand management. This service includes:
- Procurement and management of all utility purchases (fuels, electricity, natural gas, and renewable energy commodity transactions). Utility data and billings are reviewed regularly to balance natural gas direct purchase agreements for large volume accounts. Supply contracts and forward purchasing is performed to reduce budget volatility.
- Reporting including mandatory annual Green Energy Act reporting, Corporate Energy Policy directed reporting (Annual Energy Report, Annual Commodity Report Corporate Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory).
- Energy and utility data management: Quarterly Fuel Reports, fuel card management, rate and billing reviews containing over 2,000 meters’ data, and fuel tax credits.
- Energy Management Plans – Individual site and portfolio benchmarking of energy intensity, energy consumption and overall efficiency of Corporate built space.
- Project Management – Energy retrofit projects.
- Renewable Energy Operations – Hamilton Renewable Power Incorporated (HRPI), Solar, Renewable Natural Gas, and new opportunities as they arise. Management of renewable energy operations that include methane-based electricity generation at the landfill and at the Woodward wastewater treatment plant. There is also a biogas purification unit that takes additional methane from the digesters at the Woodward wastewater plant and creates renewable natural gas. The Energy Office manages the solar installations along with looking for new sources of revenue from other renewable energy projects and operations.
- Building Automation Systems – Strategy and policy for all corporate buildings, which includes the implementation of energy retrofit projects that lower the City of Hamilton’s operating costs. Such projects include LED lighting, pumps, building automation systems, district energy, and arena ice plant optimization.
- Date modified: