Filming in Hamilton

Directing a filming shoot in Hamilton

Service at a Glance

I want to film in Hamilton. What is the first step?

The first thing you should do before filming in the City of Hamilton, whether on public or private property, is to contact the City’s
Film Office. Staff will explain what you need to know regarding the City's Film By-law including applying for a film permit.

Be considerate of the local community while filming

Filming should not negatively affect the local community. This includes, but is not limited to:

  • spill-over lighting
  • exhaust fumes
  • noise

Hamilton residents and business should be able to continue to enjoy their property or conduct their business.

Why should you choose to film in Hamilton?

Hamilton, Ontario has become a very popular destination for filmmakers from all over North America and the world. The City offers hundreds of unique filming locations and attracts dozens of film and television productions each year.

What's filming this week

A weekly look at what television shows, movies and documentaries are filming in the Hamilton area.

Parking during filming

Production companies are encouraged to park in private and public lots before requesting street parking. Parking may be available in our Municipal Car Parks.

Notification letters to the public

You must notify affected residents, occupants and businesses five business days before filming. Affected residents, occupants and businesses are those who are located in proximity to or in the impact zone of filming.

Tax Credits for Filming in Ontario

The Ontario Media Development Corporation offers several film and television tax credits which save film partners time and money.

What films have been shot in Hamilton?

If you pay close attention you will see some highly recognized buildings, streetscapes and parts of the City in some of your favourite movies.

Paid Duty Officers

Paid Duty Officers and Emergency Medical Services Personnel must be on set for the detonation of pyrotechnic special effects and dangerous situations.

Temporary Road Closure Permits for Filming

You must have a permit if your filming will interfere with pedestrian or vehicular traffic.

You will need a Temporary Road or Lane Closure Permit if:

  • you will be using a full roadway
  • one full direction of traffic will be blocked for more than three to five minutes
  • you will use a single lane on an arterial road for more than two weeks
Approval for using special effects during filming

You need approval from the Hamilton Police Services and the Fire Department to use any of the following:

  • Guns
  • Gun-fire
  • Explosives
  • Fireworks
  • Bomb mock-ups

  • Flash power
  • Detonators
  • Flammable liquids/materials
  • The filming of dangerous stunts
Adhere to statutes, regulations, by-laws and policies during filming

You must adhere to all applicable statutes, regulations, by-laws, policies, manuals, and guidelines to ensure the safety of the production cast, crew and the public.