Claremont update: Second down-bound lane opening Wednesday, full down-bound closure Tuesday evening
Hamilton's Film By-law No. 09-179 provides a framework for all filming in the Hamilton except for press purposes. It was created to control location filming to ensure the safety and comfort of residents, business people and motorists.The purpose of the by-law is to restrict filming without a valid permit issued by the City.
When to apply
- You must apply at least 10 business days before you plan to begin filming.
- You must apply at least 30 days in advance if the filming:
- involves a road closure
- includes hazardous activity
- requires Council approval
Apply for a Filming Permit
To apply for a Filming Permit, you must:
- Contact the Film Office to learn about the application process and the City’s rules and regulations for filming:
Address: 28 James St. N. 2nd Floor (Lister Block)
- Follow the City of Hamilton Code of Conduct for Cast and Crew (PDF, 204 KB). It is the responsibility of each producer/production company to ensure that cast and crew comply with this Code of Conduct. Every filming notification letter which is distributed in a neighbourhood or business district must include this one page Code of Conduct signed and photocopied on the back.
- Submit the following:
- Production Information Sheet (PDF, 205 KB)
- Filming Permit application form (PDF, 237 KB)
- Certificate of Insurance
- Request forms and information packages for fireworks, flame effects or pyrotechnics if your film will include special effects
- Road closure permits (if applicable)
Public notification and community engagement
As per By-Law 09-179, a notice must be delivered not less than 5 business days in advance of filming. This notice should include the following information about the filming event:
- the location
- date and time
- the name and number of this By-law
- the telephone number of the Hamilton Film Office
- other information as required
Who needs to be notified? All affected homes, businesses, institutions, Business Improvement Areas, business associations or neighbourhood groups.
- Notification letter template (DOC, 32 KB)
- Code of Conduct sign-off (PDF, 204 KB) - to be attached to every notification letter
- Hamilton location signature form template (DOC, 57 KB)
Contact the Hamilton Film Office for more information and to discuss specific requirements.
- Date modified: