Here is a list of potential questions to ask/topics to cover when a production company requests to film at your property:
Dates of filming
- Which dates will the production be filming on your property with all of their cast, crew and equipment?
- Are there any days needed for preparation (set dressing)? If so, how many?
- One filming has concluded how much time will be needed to clean up and restore locations to their original state?
- What modifications to the site will be required?
- Ask for a damage deposit: to be provided via certified cheque which is held, uncashed, and then returned to the production company once the filming is completed and both parties are satisfied that the site has been returned to its original or agreed upon state.
- How many film production personnel will be involved during filming, preparation and clean up?
- How many and what types of vehicles require parking on your property?
Fees & insurance
- Location fees need to be negotiated and once this has been agreed upon, ask for payment of the fee in advance.
- Ask for your property to be named as the additional insured on the production company’s insurance policy. The property owner should request proof of the production company’s general liability insurance
- Best practice is to have one designated site representative identified as the main point of contact for the production company and to be present at all times. This person should be familiar with the property and be able to control alarms, electrical panels, etc. as appropriate. If required, the cost of this person can be charged back to the production company.
Activities prior to filming
Prior to finally choosing the location, the will be two or three site visits with various personnel. They will take photos and discuss the scenes they will shoot to determine if the site will work for their scene. It is during these visits that rules, regulations and limitations for your site need to be outlined and addressed. Once your site is chosen, a technical survey will take place (usually 25 to 50 people in attendance) that will cover all of the details required for the filming days.
If you have any questions regarding inquiries to film on your property, please contact:
Hamilton Film Office
- Date modified: