There are so many reasons to film in Hamilton, explore many of the advantages below and watch our documentary style video on Reasons to Film in Hamilton.
Hamilton’s Film Highlights:
A geographic location that is accessible and offers additional incentives
- Located within a one-hour drive to Toronto and the US border.
- Access to all four modes of transportation – rail, road, air and port. Hamilton has its own international airport and waterfront that includes a port.
- Medium-sized city that’s pretty easy to get around in.
- Hamilton’s location makes it the first city outside of Toronto to be eligible for not only the Refundable tax credit to eligible Ontario-based Canadian and foreign-controlled corporations of 25% of qualified Ontario production expenditures for eligible film and television productions but also an additional regional bonus
Wide variety and styles of locations
- 200 distinct neighbourhoods representing many different eras
- Old and new architecture: ~ 6.5% of Hamilton homes are 100+ years old
- Small town and bigger city-feel: Hamilton has played small town USA or Canada, Boston, NYC, Chicago etc.
- Industrial and futuristic: Hamilton’s history as a steel town creates some interesting opportunities
- Thousands of acres of green space: parks and conservation areas
- Waterfront views: Lake Ontario and Hamilton Harbour, sandy beaches, trails, waterfalls, bridges, marina’s, shipping docks, railway shunting yards, and piers that present a great locations and vantage points.
Great amenities for your crew
- High quality hotels and accommodations: 1,600+ hotel rooms many located downtown
- Excellent and diverse food and drink options across the city: international eateries, vibrant food truck scene, local coffee shops and roasters, unique culinary events, and craft beer breweries. For a taste, explore our downtown options
- We also invite you to explore the city as a tourist and checkout www.tourismhamilton.com and all the things to do while you are in town and please share your experiences with us or ask questions via @HamiltonTourism.
Film-focused Businesses and Talent in Hamilton
- Businesses: Hamilton is home to many film friendly and focused businesses such as studios, standing sets, special effects, equipment rentals, recording studios, post VFX and animation etc. You can search businesses in Hamilton via a searchable online database
- Talent: Contacts and resource guide of individuals working in film and living in Hamilton.
Ontario Industry Supports and Organizations
- Ontario Creates offers support to productions including consultation (i.e. script review), scouting, locations library, and liaison.
- Film Ontario
- Directors Guild of Canada - Ontario Council
- Academy of Canadian Film & Technology
- The International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees and Moving Picture Technicians, Artists and Allied Crafts (I.A.T.S.E.) represents workers in different crafts, who are mostly employed in motion picture and television production. IATSE has three different unions:
- I.A.T.S.E. Local 411 represents production coordinators, assistant coordinators, production secretaries, craft service providers, and honey wagon operators.
- I.A.T.S.E. Local 667 International Cinematographers Guild represents the camera crews and unit publicists who work on all forms of motion picture production, as well as personnel in several television stations.
- I.A.T.S.E. 873 represents motion picture technicians.
- NABET 700-M UNIFOR is a union of film, television and new media technicians that has serviced the Southern Ontario for over 45 years.
- Hamilton Musician’s Guild fastest growing musicians local in Canada.
- Writers Guild of Canada (WGC) represents more than 2,000 professional English-language screenwriters in Canada.
- Alliance of Cinema, Television and Radio Artists (ACTRA)
- Canadian Film Centre
Now What/Next Steps
Like what you see and ready to determine your location in Hamilton? Your next step is to contact the Hamilton Film Office via email [email protected] or phone 905-546-4233 and we will assist with film permits and applications (link to permits page), coordinating city facilities, roads, parks etc.
- Date modified: