Filming in Hamilton

Temporary Road Closure Permits for Filming

You must have a permit if your filming will interfere with pedestrian or vehicular traffic.

You will need a Temporary Road Closure Permit if:

  • you will be using a full roadway
  • one full direction of traffic will be blocked for more than three to five minutes

Apply for a temporary road closure permit

To apply for a temporary road closure permit, you will need to submit the following by fax to 905-540-5926:

  • a completed temporary full road closure permit application form at least two weeks before the date of your road closure
  • a detailed plan of the road closure which should include the location of:
    • applicant-installed signing
    • barricading
    • coning
    • traffic control persons (who must be Ontario Traffic Manual Book 7 trained and qualified. If you do not have a traffic control person you must hire Paid Duty Officers to help with the road closure.

For general inquiries on temporary road closure permits for filming call 905-546-2424 ext. 4577 or email [email protected]

What you need to do after your permit has been approved

Once your permit is approved, you will be given a Delegated Authority Letter or DAL. This is your permit for the road closure. This letter is also emailed to provide notice to the Ward Councillor, Parking, Transit, Hamilton Police, EMS, and Ambulance Dispatch.

You must now:

  • Pay the 2022 permit fee of $721.24.
    • This fee covers the administration of the road closure. It does not include the cost for advance warning boards or detour signs. If you require warning boards or detour signs, you will be billed separately after the road closure.
  • Provide proof of $2,000,000 public liability insurance
    • Name the City of Hamilton as an added insured party with a provision for cross liability, and holding the City of Hamilton harmless from all actions, causes of action, interests, claims, demands, costs, damages, expenses and loss.
  • Notify all property owners and tenants along the closed portion of the road.
    • The letter must be reviewed by City staff before it is distributed and must include a 24 hour contact name and phone number.

Traffic rules for filming vehicles and traffic stoppage

  • Production vehicles must follow traffic regulations unless permission has been granted along with your permit.
  • If you do not have a road closure, all moving vehicles must follow the posted speed limits and other traffic regulations unless directed otherwise by a Paid Duty Officer.
  • Intermittent traffic stoppages cannot be more than three to five minutes, unless otherwise approved by the film office and must be supervised by a Paid Duty Officer.
  • All trucks must use the City’s Truck Routes.

It is your responsibility to arrange and pay for Paid Duty Police Officers and City staff to cover, alter, remove or reinstall traffic or street signs.