Building & Renovating

Contact the Building Division

How can I contact the Building Division?

In-person, Mail or Courier:
City of Hamilton
Building Division
71 Main St. W., 3rd Fl.
Hamilton, ON L8P 4Y5
(In person availability dependent on COVID-19 restrictions) 

General line: 905-546-2720
Inspection line: 905-546-2424 ext. 7777

General: [email protected]
ePlans: [email protected]

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Building Permits are necessary to ensure that fire, construction and structural safety standards are met. Permits also confirm that the project follows City Zoning By-laws. It is the owner’s responsibility to ensure that a Building Permit is obtained prior to construction or demolition. Learn more about Building Permits

If construction has started prior to the issuance of a Building Permit, consequences may include:

  • Costly repairs may be required to gain compliance
  • Removal of work done not in compliance with the Ontario Building Code and/or other applicable law may be required
  • The Building Permit fee may be increased
  • Legal action may be initiated by the Building Division to gain compliance

Not sure if a Building Permit is required for your project? Contact the Building Division and one of our staff will be happy to assist you.

Permit fees are required to be paid at the time of application. The total fee depends on the type and size of the project. View the full list of Building Permit Classes and Fees

If you have a complaint or compliment related to the Building Division, contact our general phone line or general email (above) and your inquiry will be directed to the appropriate person. Depending on the nature of the concern, please allow up to 5 business days for a response.

You do not need a Building Permit to install a swimming pool, however you do need a Building Permit to construct the pool enclosure (fence). Pool enclosures are required for all swimming poolsLearn more about swimming pools

You do not need a Building Permit to construct a fence unless you are installing a swimming pool or replacing an existing pool enclosure (fence). Learn more about swimming pools

Are installing a fence that is not a pool enclosure? Learn more about residential fences

Tents require a Building Permit when the area of the structure exceeds 60 square metres or when the area of two or more tents exceeds 60 square metres. Learn more about residential tents

Note: Although a Building Permit may not be required, you must still comply with the requirements of the applicable municipal Zoning By-law.