Property, Gardens & Trees

Private Trees

Trees that are on private property are protected by tree protection by-laws:

  • If you live in the former City of Hamilton, you are responsible for any maintenance or damage.
  • If you live elsewhere in the City, some City trees are protected by tree protection by-laws and may require a permit for trimming or cutting down. Call Property Standards at 905-546-2424, ext. 2782 for more information.

If a branch is touching a hydro line, you should advise your hydro company.

Maintaining private trees

Neighbour disputes regarding maintenance of a private tree are considered a civil matter and the City does not get involved.

If a tree is dead, has broken branches or if you believe there is an imminent safety issue, call Property Standards at 905-546-2424 ext. 2782.

Hiring a Tree Service company? They must have a valid Tree Cutting Service Licence issued by The City of Hamilton. View a list of current licensed street contactors on Open Hamilton

Disposing of tree trunks, branches or wood

You have three options for disposing of wood from private trees:

  1. Leave out as yard waste for curbside collection
  2. Drop off for free at a Community Recycling Centre
  3. Contact a private company if you have large branches that exceed acceptable dimensions for yard waste pick up.

Private Tree Removal

The City of Hamilton does not have a private tree by-law that outlines how / what residents are to do with their private trees.  There are pre-amalgamation private tree by-laws in place for Ancaster and Dundas. Outside of this, we want to promote the building of the tree canopy in the City of Hamilton and promote the protection of mature, healthy trees.